Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with tongue tie!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:36 PM
  • 22 Replies

my 2 weeks old is tongue tied and cannot latch on. he gets frustrated and screams until he gets to eat. ive had to start pumping and giving it to him in a bottle. now my production is suffering.

does anyone know anything i can do to either help him nurse while tongue tied or get my milk production back up even though i have to pump? im worried my milk will dry up and i want to breastfeed for as long as possible. any advice is more than welcome :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyLovesAvon
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Have you tried nursing with a shield?  My first son was tongue tied and the lactation consultant gave me one to try.  He was a little bit of an extreme case though and even had problems with a bottle, so we actually had to take him in to get it clipped.  Unfortunately because of that, I don't have any other suggestions for you.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM

You need to get the TT cut ASAP, til then try finger feeding using a tube attached to your finger and work on stretching his tongue while doing this, google info on stretching a tongue tie.

Pump every 2-3 hours round the clock for 20-30 min with a quality pump...try not to overfed your LO..2 oz bottles ever 2 hours

lovingmom2jack
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM

im trying to find where i can purchase one. someone told me target and i was going to go there tomorrow in the hopes of finding one. thank you for your telling me about your experiance :) i really appreciate it

our ent wont do it. he says "breastfeeding is unnecesarry and you can just pump". uhm no, i would really prefer to actually nurse.

annaica
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM
Call the LLL for help in finding a good doctor locally.

Quoting lovingmom2jack:

im trying to find where i can purchase one. someone told me target and i was going to go there tomorrow in the hopes of finding one. thank you for your telling me about your experiance :) i really appreciate it

our ent wont do it. he says "breastfeeding is unnecesarry and you can just pump". uhm no, i would really prefer to actually nurse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingmom2jack
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:46 PM

they wont cut the TT. im trying to get a second opinion but its hard because i have tricare(military healthcare) and getting appointments with a 2nd doctor are really hard. my midwife and family practitioner are trying to reason with the first doctor.

i have a mipump by first years. do i need to get a better one?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

You need to get the TT cut ASAP, til then try finger feeding using a tube attached to your finger and work on stretching his tongue while doing this, google info on stretching a tongue tie.

Pump every 2-3 hours round the clock for 20-30 min with a quality pump...try not to overfed your LO..2 oz bottles ever 2 hours

lovingmom2jack
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:48 PM

i will do that. thank you :)

Quoting annaica:

Call the LLL for help in finding a good doctor locally.

Quoting lovingmom2jack:

lil_momma0911
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM

i just got back from a lactation consultant and my three week old doesn't have that bad of a tongue tie and she showed me how to hold my breast and her so she gets more breast in her mouth than nipple. all i can say is good luck.

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Quoting lil_momma0911:

i just got back from a lactation consultant and my three week old doesn't have that bad of a tongue tie and she showed me how to hold my breast and her so she gets more breast in her mouth than nipple. all i can say is good luck.

Even if they claim it's "minor," if it is causing issues BF it needs to get clipped!  My DD has a very very minor one and was ok til I lost my supply at six weeks from her not being able to nurse effectively.  Plus, it can cause lots of dental/speech issues later in life.  You can visit the Tongue Tie group for more information, pictures, and a list of doctors that can clip it :)

elliesmommy404
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM

My son was tongue tied and didn't get it clipped until he was 6wks. Find a doctor that can do it, tell the doctor breastfeeding is neccessary. Fight him.

As far as nursing, your baby has learned that if he fights enough and holds out he'll get the ease of a bottle. Find a lactation consultant, try a health department even. I was given a lactation aid that allowed me to supplement without using a bottle. You can try medicine droppers too. As for actual nursing try the football hold and/or the dancer hold. I find the football hold best, even still. Also check the upper lip frenulum, I was suprised to find out my son had a tight upper lip frenulum as well. It does need to be clipped.

Char07
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM
All this, avoiding bottles for a baby with any latch issue is really necessary. Are you able to latch at all? My oldest was tt and bottles made her much lazier, she wouldn't even try anymore. My current tt baby has learned how to nurse pretty well (it was really bad in the beginning) and is now 10 mo old and I refused to ever give her a bottle. Good luck!

Quoting elliesmommy404:

My son was tongue tied and didn't get it clipped until he was 6wks. Find a doctor that can do it, tell the doctor breastfeeding is neccessary. Fight him.

As far as nursing, your baby has learned that if he fights enough and holds out he'll get the ease of a bottle. Find a lactation consultant, try a health department even. I was given a lactation aid that allowed me to supplement without using a bottle. You can try medicine droppers too. As for actual nursing try the football hold and/or the dancer hold. I find the football hold best, even still. Also check the upper lip frenulum, I was suprised to find out my son had a tight upper lip frenulum as well. It does need to be clipped.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)