Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding BED sharers!!!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:03 AM
  • 74 Replies

Since birth we have slept with a snuggle nest!! For the last week Ive pulled the snuggle nest out and let LO sleep right up next to me so that he could nurse through the night!! ITS BEEN WONDERFUL!! I mean literally we have slept 7 and 8 hr streaches and hes only 2 months old... My husband now tells me that he has heard its unsafe for the baby to sleep with me and is insisting I put him back in the snuggle nest!!! I just need yalls feelings about it!  Were you ever alittle scared because of all the NEYSAYERS? I mean ill do what I want to either way but he raised a concern to me and needed someone to ease my worrying head!!

tnx ladies

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mompinionated
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:04 AM
Drmomma.org has great articles on the benefits of co-sleeping!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:06 AM
I co-slept with both of my kids and personally think it's safer then having them in a crib or any type of sleep positioner. I'm due in a month and will co-sleep again :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chendren1
I have co slept with all three of my kids. I love it. I have no info about why its better but three kids has to say something
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnt_2_b_mommy

Both my kids slept right next to me from day 1 and they were TINY. DS was 5 lbs even when we left the hospital and he spent his first night home sleeping cuddled up next to me, nursing off and on most of the night. I couldn't get any sleep any other way! DD was slightly bigger and we went straight to bedsharing with her too, she loved to snuggle all night. I worried more about my kids when they started sleeping on their own then I did when they slept with me and DH.

Stardar
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Quoting Mompinionated:

Drmomma.org has great articles on the benefits of co-sleeping!

Ive read them thats why im sooo adimat about it also.. LO seems to thoroughly enjoy being close to mommy! I just keep thinking of everyone telling me how danderous it is?

bahamamama26
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I did it with my first two and I'm doing it with this one.  Just make sure no pillows or blankets are near babies face and keep him away from the edge.(obviously) Hubby tried to talk me out of it but I pointed out that I was the one losing all the sleep and taking care of the baby so ultimitely it's MY decision about what is best for baby and me.

Stardar
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

Both my kids slept right next to me from day 1 and they were TINY. DS was 5 lbs even when we left the hospital and he spent his first night home sleeping cuddled up next to me, nursing off and on most of the night. I couldn't get any sleep any other way! DD was slightly bigger and we went straight to bedsharing with her too, she loved to snuggle all night. I worried more about my kids when they started sleeping on their own then I did when they slept with me and DH.

TNX that makes me feel better!! :) ya know sometimes ya just need someone to make you feel better about your decisions

elmo6885
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:15 AM
I coslept with both of my boys until 6 months. I would have never gotten any sleep if we didn't!

Personally, if the baby is in bed with me I sleep different. I'm just more aware subconsciously. I can't tell you how many times I woke up with my boob hanging out and the LO was fast asleep, having no memory of feeding him :)

We did start putting them down in the crib at 6 months though. However, when they woke up for a night feeding (3 am usually) I would put them back in bed with us. It was so much easier than trying to get him back to sleep in his crib.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:18 AM
I've got my 4th bed-sharing baby here with me, born at 5-5, tiny squirt ;-). I never planned on bed sharing but it always "felt right" to me and dh. Dr. sears is my go-to man for all things relating to bed sharing (as well as Breastfeeding, slinging, feeding, illnesses. Askdrsears.com). I always slept in the middle, dh to one side and baby to other as dh's aren't always as aware as nursing moms, who sleep so lightly and sleep cycle with and like newborns. The scariest thing about cosleeping is having another kid in bed, too. Again, the other kid never sleeps next to baby. I sleep on top of the bedspread and we all have our personal blankets, so no comforter tangling baby. When obvious care is taken regarding bedding materials and protecting baby from a side fall (and parents aren't incapacitated by any substances) it can be argued that bedsharing is safer than cribs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MelaneeO
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:19 AM

My LO is 14 months and we have never spent a night apart.  I have read up a lot (so as to respond to the concerns of others) and one thing I always found interesting was that it actually could help prevent SIDS.  It has something to do with your breathing out CO2 and stimulating the baby's continued breathing...something like that :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)