Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM
  • 5 Replies
Tried your baby can read?

Scam?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MommyandMama45
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM
I watched a special on it and these college researchers (can't remember exactly who) said it was a scam. They said that your child will be able to 'read' the cards, but that it is memorizing, not actually reading. And that there is no proof that it will make them better readers in the future. The group of kids they studied were equal to their classmates reading levels when they started school. They said that it's much more important to actually read to your child and interact with your child than to use this program. I was so glad I saw the special, because I was going to buy it, but after watching it I decided not to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bmommyof2
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM
My ex mil bought it for my kids. Its crap lol. Like pp said its memorization not reading!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Big waste of money. Not to mention it's tv based which is bad for infant brain development and greatly raises the risk of add. What works much better is just reading to your babies, and best thing is, that's FREE!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Use the money to buy lots of books, some wooden blocksand a sandbox. Even if it does "teach" baby to "read" the words, my questions are:

What is the long term benefit?
What vital developmental activities and exploration is it replacing?

Babies and toddlers need to be read to and talked to, and given the opportunities to explore their world (hence the blocks and sand box). That is what grows their little brains and gets them ready for academics down the road, and for long term success!
savannabooker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM
I have it and my dd loves it. We also incorporate phonics into doing them as well. The problem with it is if you are not willing to do it with your children it will not work. Some parents just want to sit their children in front of the TV with the video in and hope that magically their children will be able to read. The idea of it is that everyone learns by memorization first and then you also work with phonics. I have my daughter read the word and if she doesn't know it I help her sound it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)