Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Madelyn hates my right side.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM
  • 4 Replies

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but she hates my right side. Everytime I latch her on and my milk lets down, she lets go and screams and refuses to nurse. She does just fine on my left side, with no screaming. Why won't she nurse from my left side? I never had any trouble with my others, they nursed with no screaming. Am I going to have to stop nursing her on that side and pump it and only nurse her on my left side? What do I do about this?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Have you tried different positions?  Sometimes it that the letdown is different, sometimes its the nipples are shaped different.  You can ONLY nurse one side if you want.  You will be lopsided but one side can make enough for her with no need to pump at all

OHHHH sometimes seing a chiropractor(baby seeing one) helps.  Sometimes its an ear infection or a neck issue on the one side.

bb6510
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I am no breastfeeding expert. My first baby is only 9 weeks old but this is wha I have to offer. Perhaps your let down on your right side is more forceful than on the left. My milk on both sides let down to quickly and he would let go and scream. Try hand expressing some milk before you latch her on  and try leaning back while nursing to go against gravity. These two things really helped my son.   

Stardar
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM
My right flows way faster I can even tell when I pump.. Try laying back alittle or unlatching her when ur milk let's down..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyriesmommy13
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM
I had the same issue with my left side. It would spray with force when my milk let-down. Laying back while nursing may help. You could also pump until you let down, then latch baby on after the forceful let down has finished, or just remove baby as soon as you feel letdown starting, and then put baby back to breast once flow has slowed.

Quoting Stardar:

My right flows way faster I can even tell when I pump.. Try laying back alittle or unlatching her when ur milk let's down..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)