Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help/advice plugged duct :-( *update IT IS MASTITIS ?'S...

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM
  • 12 Replies

Im in SOOO much darn pain, its stinging and throbbing when touched, I tried Mortin and it really didnt do much for me :-(

I have tried a hot bath soaking in the tub and massaging while under the water

Tried the heating pad and pumping that side also holding the heating pad on my breast while pumping.

Tried putting baby to the breast more.

It started really hurting late last night so its been over 12 hours and its still throbbing how in the world do I get this thing to go away its a huge knot!!!

This cant turn into mastitis can it? I dont have cracked nipples or anything like that.

I have felt rundown for the last day or so.. and the pain seems to be getting worse not better and it hurts worse the fuller my breast is. 

well just got off the phone with dr looks like it is mastitis after all...she told me to nurse in the football hold since the infection is in the under side of my breast..

she put me on Dicloxacillin 250 mg...is that ok? any side effects that baby could have from this?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missy_anne1
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Same thing happened to me about 4 days after having my daughter. I ended upusing a heating pad then massaging it harder than normal and using my hand to get the milk out. i remember how bad it hurt ut noting else worked and i got as much as i could out once my brest started to go down a little to were the pump could latch on to my breast i was able to get the milk out. Then i sat in the hpttest bath possible and took some pian medication. Im not much help its been over 2 years.thats what i did and it worked but it did really really hurt. 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:19 PM
Try dangle nursing. Dangle the breast into the baby's mouth and let gravity help draw out the clog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM
Oh, and it CAN turn into mastitis if you don't get it unplugged. You do not have to have cracked nipples to get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jro1003
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM

I know it hurts to nurse but that is the best way to get out the clog.. it will get better..

Also, get in the shower (really warm) and take a comb, smother it in bar soap and comb the lump, towards the nipple, with the comb.  Nursing is the best though.  Go to kelly mom and look up clogged duct..do you feel sick at all, feverish or warm?  That means it is turning into an infection..Feel better.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
hornofhawthorn
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM

if it's just a localized knot then you need to take a warm washcloth and rub away any dried milk/colostrum. my lactation consultant said when it isn't the whole breast and just a small portion than a duct in the nipple is clogged from dried milk...

hope that helps!

hornofhawthorn
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM

oh - and maybe a small patch of cabbage leaf on the knot for no more than 15 minutes should help

morningstarfire
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:48 PM

YES YES I do feel very sick and rundown.. Im not sure on the fever part because I have been taking motrin so Im sure thats keeping the fever away if I do have one. Its throbbing just sitting here I wonder if its mastitis already? I want to scream and just be done with this, first thrush, latch problems, and now this.. I so feel like just quitting :-( At least I have made it to 6 weeks... but Im not sure I can handle this kind of pain, it hurts to move period.

DO you think I should go to the dr? ugh.. its Sat. though do people go to the ER for a breast infection..!?

Quoting jro1003:

I know it hurts to nurse but that is the best way to get out the clog.. it will get better..

Also, get in the shower (really warm) and take a comb, smother it in bar soap and comb the lump, towards the nipple, with the comb.  Nursing is the best though.  Go to kelly mom and look up clogged duct..do you feel sick at all, feverish or warm?  That means it is turning into an infection..Feel better.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM
If you can get it unplugged quickly, you won't need to see a doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
morningstarfire
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

bump update

jro1003
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM

If it was your obgyn, I am sure that the antibiotic is okay..Take it but make sure you eat yogurt to keep the yeast away..

there is a dietary supp. call lecithin that you can buy at a health food store which will help prevent the clog again..research it..and I know that breastfeeding can be frustrating.  Have you tried a mom's group? I know that talking to people who are going through the same thing helps a lot!

Feel better!!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)