Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's been a good run, but we're stopping... :(

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM
  • 42 Replies

I started a job a few weeks ago, and I've been given the offer of going on business trips that pay REALLY WELL, but involve me being away for sometimes 4 days at a time. After weighing our options, we decided that we really need the money and I need the hours, so we can better our life and the baby's life. So even though I wanted to EBF until 1 year, we are in the process of weaning.

I leave for my first 4 day trip this coming Thursday, and I just don't have ANY milk stored up, so we've been introducing formula. He's taking it (even from me), and isn't showing any negative reactions. I'm still breastfeeding before bed right now, but we'll stop that probably by Monday night, so that by Thursday night he'll be okay with having a bottle before bed.

It's very bittersweet for me. I know I've given him a GREAT advantage by breastfeeding as long as I have, but it's still hard to stop before my goal. But making a better life for him is so important to me, and the ONLY way I will make enough money at my job to be able to afford a place of our own is by doing these business trips. Next week, including the trip, I am scheduled to work almost 70 hours. If I weren't doing the trip, I would only have 24 hours. The sacrifice is worth it at this point in time.

So at 7 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days, Brian will no longer be a breastfed baby. I will try to still nurse him when I can if I'm not away on a trip, but I don't think my supply will hold up. It's already dimished so much just from being away from him for 8 hours 3 days a week. I don't think it will survive 4 days of being away from him.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyriesmommy13
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Can you pump while you're away at all? Even if you could only pump at night and in the morning? I don't see why you'd have to completely wean before you leave for your trip. You could still nurse whenever it's possible for you, and just use formula the rest of the time. You already know baby will take it. Just a suggestion so you don't have to stop completely. Best of luck to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshyne86
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Have you thought about pumping while at work and even away to build up a supply for the baby and keep your supply up? Just a though since you don't seem like you are happy about stopping. People have mentioned a breast milk donor program you could possibly check into to see if you could use that for the first trip or two. But if you are done with it congrats on doing that for your baby for so long. And good luck with the new job! Hope everything works out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM
While weaning is certainly an option, I just want you to know that continuing is also an option, even if you are not breastfeeding/breast milk feeding exclusively.

Both my SIL and my good friend did lots of business travel with their full time jobs and continued to breastfeed. My friend was able to keep up with demand by pumping While she was away and baby got 100% breast milk. My nephew often got formula while mom was on a business trip, even though she pumped which away, but they continued to breastfeed until he was 3yrs old.

I'd encourage you to, at the very least, don't actively work on weaning. Just keep breastfeeding and pumping as much as you can, and fill in the rest with formula.
luvs708
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM
dont beat yourself up! you almost got to 8 months and that is 8 months longer than a lot aof babies get!!! you did a great job! and your son will get a lifelong benefit from what u gave him! no giult mama! i hope your trip next week goes great!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I've seen people go on cruises for 10 days without their baby FF while away and EBF when home again...its possible if you pump atleast here and there but its totally up to you.

I'm sad that it takes sacrificing your childs health AND the time with your child(not that you can't work but 70 hours in a week is excessive) just to get ahead..it makes me sad that this is what it comes to these days.

Good luck in whatever yu decide and 8 months is nothing to sneeze at!

NADA2
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM
I traveled 5 days a week and still EBF. I made sure hotels had a real fridge and froze all the milk I pumped and carried it on my flight. If you truly want to keep at it, you can...but if FF is now best for you, then congratulate yourself for making it this long...some women don't even make it pass 2 weeks. I agree w/ some of PP too, you don't have to quit, so to say, maybe just nurse when u can...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loveing_My_Life
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM

You did a really GREAT job for going so long!  And dont feel bad! Your doing what you need to do to better your child's life. and because you bf so for long hes already healthy!

bethann9988
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Good job!! And congrat on the job, hope it goes well and you guys get ahead and make the life u want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessie82087
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM
That was pretty rude and uncalled for. I would be sacrificing my child's health by NOT working as much as I could, by having him live in a house where people smoke and live in filth.

You don't know my situation, so don't assume that I am doing any less than what is necessary for my son's health and happiness.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I've seen people go on cruises for 10 days without their baby FF while away and EBF when home again...its possible if you pump atleast here and there but its totally up to you.

I'm sad that it takes sacrificing your childs health AND the time with your child(not that you can't work but 70 hours in a week is excessive) just to get ahead..it makes me sad that this is what it comes to these days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Wow, op. I don't think you got her point at all!  I think her point was, it sucks that in this day and age, both parents have to work jobs to get ahead and stay afloat.  And that ideally, you should be able to stay at home, making it easier to give your little one the breastmilk he needs until he turns at least one.  (assuming you want to stay at home)

So, I think you're over reacting here.  Yeah, it sucks that in todays society, women need to work at all, especially as many hours as they do these days.  But you're doing the best you can, and like she said, you've done awesome giving your little one almost eight months of the good stuff! 

Quoting jessie82087:

That was pretty rude and uncalled for. I would be sacrificing my child's health by NOT working as much as I could, by having him live in a house where people smoke and live in filth.

You don't know my situation, so don't assume that I am doing any less than what is necessary for my son's health and happiness.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)