Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my pediatrician uneducated or what?!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

Jacob just turned 6 months. We just had our 6 month check up. At 4 months they "told" me to put him on solids. I maybe did it once or twice just to see if there would be any benefit to assure myself, there was no benefit, so I stopped.. I go in and they ask the regular questions and then ask if he is on solids I said no, but once in a blue moon lately I have been giving him some purees for a treat, and the nurse gave me a look and says "Uhh, no he needs TO BE on solids regularly, hes six months and needs it"... So I just nod and smile.

Jacob is 27 inches tall, EBF since birth and weighs 18lb8oz at 6 months old....

Am I correct when I believe all babies have no NEED for solids until a year old? and Do I have to start full time now since hes 6 months? I want to give him solids now, but not regularly, maybe just as "practice".

Thanks.

bangel.gif

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM

You're totally correct! :)  Before one year, solids are just for fun to get used to new tastes and textures.  Always offered after a full nursing.  You're doing a great job mama!

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM

You are correct. They don't NEED solids until a year. Before a year they are just for learning and fun!

MommyandBecca
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I did not start my second daughter on solids until she was 8 months old and i think your giving your 6month old plenty from just breastfeeding.  your son weighs more then my daughter did at a year and she was supplemented with formula because i felt forced to have to feed her formula they did not think she was gaining enough weight

06-07mom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Umm my daughter is 14 months old and still doesn't eat a lot of solids. she eats a little here and there but she is still going strong on BM. they can live and thrive on BM alone until 2

MamaHome
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM

My son didnt eat ANY solids until a year. He just had no interest. Even now thats hes almost 2 he eats just a little at a time, and wants to nurse afterward.....you are totally fine mama. 

Greenstone920
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:29 PM

My cousin has been doing the baby-led solids approach, and skipping the purees entirely.  Basically, she lets her daughter try new foods when they eat meals.  She'll overcook certain things so they're mushy, like asparagus, but I really like the idea of just letting baby gnaw on healthy wholesome real foods than doing the puree and cereal much approach.  I have to research it more for this next one that I'm due with.

NADA2
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I think there are some articles on kellymom.com that says 6 months you can introduce solids, but only after BM.  Sounds like he's healthy...my lil guy is 4 months at 17 lbs, 1 oz...and I'm holding off on solids till at least 6 months b/c he will be huge! Some DRs are not supportive of BFing and try everything to steer mothers away...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Solids are desserts..desserts are NOT necessary!!

After nursing think about using whole foods, not mush or purees, read up on baby led solids or baby led weaning...he will mostly play but eventually some will get in his mouth..no big deal!

HeartCharmMama
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM
I started the baby-led solids at 4 months and it has been successful. He does not like purees at all. Such a waste of money; never again. Now at almost 11 months, he is a great eater but it's hard to beat nursing! ;)

Quoting Greenstone920:

My cousin has been doing the baby-led solids approach, and skipping the purees entirely.  Basically, she lets her daughter try new foods when they eat meals.  She'll overcook certain things so they're mushy, like asparagus, but I really like the idea of just letting baby gnaw on healthy wholesome real foods than doing the puree and cereal much approach.  I have to research it more for this next one that I'm due with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM

How did you do baby led solids at four months?  Was you son sitting up on his own?  Grabbing his own food and getting it to his mouth on his own?

Quoting HeartCharmMama:

I started the baby-led solids at 4 months and it has been successful. He does not like purees at all. Such a waste of money; never again. Now at almost 11 months, he is a great eater but it's hard to beat nursing! ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)