Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help....... supply issues :(

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

So my son is three months old and BFing has gone wonderfully. He latched on right away after being born. It took quite awhile for my milk to come in since I had a c-section, but other then that, we've been doing really good. I LOVE being able to breastfeed and my goal is at least two years or child lead weaning.

But lately, something just isn't right. I work two hours in the morning, come home for a few hours and then go back to work for four hours. It shouldn't be hard to keep a good milk supply for when I'm away right? I kept up to what he was eatting while I was away and even had more to freeze. But for the last 3 days, I haven't been able to pump much at all. I'm used to getting at least 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 oz every time I pump at work but now I'm lucky to even get 2. I don't know if its my pump or my supply. I feel so empty all the time. I know he may be going through a growth spurt, but why can't I pump then? I've been drinking a lot of water. I'm gonna start drinking Mother's Milk Tea again and am going to make some more lactation cookies once Aaron calms down but I don't know what else to do. He acts like he's starving. I get him latched on and after a minute he pulls away and gets fussy again. Help?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Sometimes people just stop responding to the pump, especially if you're nursing for the most part.  2 oz is still on the high end of average :)  At about 3-4 months there is a natural regulation, which may be affecting your pumping output.  Feeling empty is good, when you feel full that sends the message of not needing that much milk.  I would also suspect a growth spurt, so that's probably normal.  If you're really worried about not pumping enough, you can try oarmeal, fenugreek, or Mothers Milk tea.  You're doing great :)

by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM

More than likely your supply is regulating. Normal pump output is between .5oz-2oz. The only real way to know if you have a supply issue is diaper count. Baby should be having between 6-8 dirty diapers a day. Also make sure he isn't being over fed with the bottle. 1 ounce per hour you are gone is all he need. He should never be given  bottle bigger than 3 or 4 ounces(at this age I would say no more than 2 or 3 ounces). Those rules will never change at any age!

by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:29 PM

WELCOME to growth spurt and regulation city..population..every momma who nurses past 3-4 months!!

3.5-4.5 oz is NOT normal pumping, do not ever expect to maintain that 2 oz is norm..high end of norm.

If you nurse before you leave those 2 hours he should not need ANY milk til you get back, then nurse before leaving for the 4 hours and he MAY need 2 oz after 2 hours....nurse when you get home.  THAT is absolutely perfect.

You don't need to drink MMT you don't need to take any suppliments, supply is FINE, pumping output is FINE.

I am a working pumping momma too, I understand the stress, but you are doing great, no worries.

by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:30 PM

OHHH and growth spurt time does not mean that baby will make you make more, in fact sometimes it makes you make LESS because baby nursing more tells your body to adapt the milk composition not changes what is IN the milk for babies nutritional needs

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM
I was told that pumping only gets about 60% of what baby gets. Sounds like you're doing fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I know his diaper count is more then fine. Believe me, this kid can pee lol.

Here's how our day goes during the week:

6:30 am - nurse, pump, and get ready for work

7:30 at work.

-Aaron has one 3 oz bottle somewhere in here-

10:15 come home home, nurse if he's hungry, and pump

-random nursing between here-

12:30 nurse and pump then head to his daycare

2:30 I'm able to pump at work

3:00 Aaron gets one 3 oz bottle around here

5:00 Aaron gets another 3 oz bottle around here too

6:00 arrive home with Aaron, nurse and pump

I don't work very much, but his daycare is 1/2 an hour from my work in the opposite direction so really, I spend 2 hours driving everyday :( I also work at a daycare (we just don't have an infant slot open for him yet) and it's hard to find a time for someone to watch my group so that I can pump. In about 2 months, we should have an opening so I won't even have to worry about bottles then since I'll be able to nurse him. I'm just worried about pumping enough until then.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Also, I should say that the 3.5-4.5 oz I pump at a time is the total I pump from both sides added together. And lately it's only been no more then 2 oz all together.

by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:41 PM

yeah 2 oz is a normal pump total...

Do you hand express after you are done pumping?  I can get extra that way everytime.

Start eatting some steel cut oats for breakfast every made a big difference in my pumping output

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM
He's getting too much milk when you're gone. If you're only separated 2 hours for the first chunk, he really doesn't need a bottle. I'd send 2oz at the most for that one. And for the 4 hour chunk in the afternoon, send one 3 oz bottle, not two. Or two 2oz bottles if he really needs to eat twice. That will ensure he's getting more from you when you're together. You could probably get away with him only getting one bottle total, since you're able to break it up.

Otherwise you're doing great, the other ladies covered it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Your pump output is 100% normal. Only problem here is you think there's a problem. **grin**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)