Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's getting too old for it!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM
  • 16 Replies
NEED TO VENT
The mother in law is visiting, arrived yesterday, and has already begun the comments about nursing. Last night we went out to dinner and I fed the baby like it was no big deal, but I saw her roll her eyes. Today while walking around the mall, she asked "Have you thought about when you're gonnna quit nursing him?" To avoid telling her that my goal is 3 years or self wean I replied "Uh, not really. Maybe when I go back to school." School starts in 4 months, he is 10 months old now.  She replied to that with "(mean face) THAT'S TOO OLD!...He's already getting too old now." feeling the redness in my face I replied "We'll make it to a year and reassess." "Well, a year's ok, but just don't become one of those mothers that is still nursing their 4 year old." WHY OH WHY must people be so ignorant? and why does everyone think it's any of their business. I get along with her in every aspect, EXCEPT nursing! ARGH!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeartCharmMama
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:45 PM
I never get why people are so insensitive about nursing babies that aren't newborns. Thankfully, I have never had a problem with comments.

I hope she can get over it since it's none of her business and you two have a great relationship otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM

If she can't be supportive then she shouldn't be around...

MommyJill87
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Ugh, boils my blood for you.  I plan to nurse this baby till self-weaning and I'm just gathering my rebuttles for the first time someone has something negative to say.

Ashley0709
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:05 PM

That just shows you what the rest of the world is thinking! That what is really best for babies(of all ages) is gross. . .  ya whatever! Little do they know, we are helping with diseases and illness and who knows what else.

HeartCharmMama
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:22 PM
Wow, I should start doing the same.

Quoting MommyJill87:

Ugh, boils my blood for you.  I plan to nurse this baby till self-weaning and I'm just gathering my rebuttles for the first time someone has something negative to say.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM

You know you don't want to be Jesus' mom, or Albert Einstens mom or michael jordans mom...OH NO (they were all nursed til atleast age 4)...cause you know those guys are soooo wierd

lifetimelove
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:41 PM
She's just ignorant. In her world, it was too old. Just use the opportunity to educate her, you never know. My MIL is a wonderful woman, and I think she thought breastfeeding past a year was crazy. Now she's a big advocate. I just found opprotunities to talk about what a great benefit it is.

She nursed my dh for 9 months. Gave him water with karo syrup from day one in a bottle and weaned him to cows milk at 9 months. Because that's what the doctors told them to do. And that was 1982, not that long ago. They just don't know any better.

I come from a mom who read the womanly art of breastfeeding and followed it, and that was in the 70s. Just different perspectives and different backgrounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pugsmuggler
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Ditto!

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

If she can't be supportive then she shouldn't be around...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Agreed. 

Quoting Pugsmuggler: Ditto!

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler: If she can't be supportive then she shouldn't be around...

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

autrey
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM

girl i now wht you are going through i love my mother in law to death we get along on almost every front but breast feeding has been a battle i am on my 4 son bfing you would think she would have shut up by now let me be the first to tell you she comments every time i see her she always says give that baby a bottle he s to big , nurseings gross hes to little because of bfing , your starving him to death and so on the negativity goes i just say i love nurseing my baby and hes perfect i smile and walk away 14 years of this sorry girl just keep nurseing and she will just have to deal with it good luck 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)