Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was thinking...(I'm new to this group)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hi!  My name is Ginny, and I'm new in this group. :)  (Haha, obviously by the title! :p )

I have four children already, all of which were formula fed.  Now, there was a reason for this.  I wasn't producing any breast milk, so I had no choice.  Also, I was kind of buying into the the 'breasts as sex ojects' stigma, thanks to my fairly odd upbringing.  That being said, this is my 7th pregnancy, hopefully 5th healthy child, and things already seem a bit different.

With my other children, my breasts never leaked during pregnancy.  I'm only 9 weeks 3 days, and I have noticed definite leaking with this one.  To be honest, the afore mentioned stigma does keep popping into my head, but I am trying to dispel it.  For most of my life I've had a problem with second-guessing myself, so that doesn't always work, but I'm trying. :)

I have discussed my options at length with my DF, and he supports me 100% no matter what I choose to do.  Well, lately I've been thinking really hard about trying to breastfeed this time around.  I know it's probably not going to be easy, and to be honest, even though I've read quite a bit, I still don't know a lot about it.

I'm worried that I'll feel weird, that my baby won't latch, and, (obviously), that I'll try and fail, which would make me feel horrible.  I know that formula may not be the absolute best, but all of my children are perfectly healthy, so I have no doubt that this one will be too should I choose to go that rout instead.  However, the more I think about it, the more certain I seem to be that I do want to try and breastfeed this baby.

I guess there isn't really a steady point to this post, and it's rambles a little, but like I said, I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I know that many women on here are great for advice and encouragement.  I suppose, when it comes down to it, that's just what I need.

Thank you to everyone who got this far. :)

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:21 PM

HI! Welcome to the group! Hang around ehre and just read and read and the info willbe amazing!

One of the big things we hear all the time is that a mom did not make milk.  And the first thing I ask is HOW DID YOU KNOW?  What did you base this on?  Oftentimes it was based on sabotaging fromothers even well meaning family, friends and doctors, othertimes its becuase mom had some serious medical issues during and after birth.  RARELY is here a mom who never gets milk at all, rarely.

Now not all moms leak, its great that you are but thats not necessarily an issue if you didn't, I didn't leak this last time at all and we hit a year next friday!

BFing is never all or nothing, its best to try to exclusively nurse as much as possible but if there ever comes a time when a GOOD LC or even the ladies here say yeah you need to suppliment its never all or nothing, even BFing once a day once a week once in a blue moon is better than not at all.

I want you to buy the book So thats what they're for by Janet Tamaro, and bookmark www.kellymom.com...2 reliable places for info...lots of books and websites give info, very few are reliable.  IGNORE the what to expect books about BFing.

BTW I gave up BFing for various reasons with my first 2 and EBF my 3rd and now 4th child...you can do it too, just remember that anything you EVER knew about feeding your baby...forget it, its totally different to BF than to FF

Red_Tempest
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I tried to BF my oldest daughter, but it never seemed like she was well-fed or satisfied.  A week after she was born, I talked to my doctor about it, and he's the one that told me i wasn't producing any.  Being a new mom, I didn't really think to question his opinion. 

I ran into almost the same problem with my youngest daughter, and because of that, I never even tried with my sons.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

HI! Welcome to the group! Hang around ehre and just read and read and the info willbe amazing!

One of the big things we hear all the time is that a mom did not make milk.  And the first thing I ask is HOW DID YOU KNOW?  What did you base this on?  Oftentimes it was based on sabotaging fromothers even well meaning family, friends and doctors, othertimes its becuase mom had some serious medical issues during and after birth.  RARELY is here a mom who never gets milk at all, rarely.

Now not all moms leak, its great that you are but thats not necessarily an issue if you didn't, I didn't leak this last time at all and we hit a year next friday!

BFing is never all or nothing, its best to try to exclusively nurse as much as possible but if there ever comes a time when a GOOD LC or even the ladies here say yeah you need to suppliment its never all or nothing, even BFing once a day once a week once in a blue moon is better than not at all.

I want you to buy the book So thats what they're for by Janet Tamaro, and bookmark www.kellymom.com...2 reliable places for info...lots of books and websites give info, very few are reliable.  IGNORE the what to expect books about BFing.

BTW I gave up BFing for various reasons with my first 2 and EBF my 3rd and now 4th child...you can do it too, just remember that anything you EVER knew about feeding your baby...forget it, its totally different to BF than to FF

Ashley0709
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Welcome!

This is a great place for support and info! Come back with any and all questions. I hope you continue to look into the benefits of Breastfeeding. And I really hope you decide to do it.  It will have its challenges. Just say to yourself that you are gonna stick to it.

Good luck!

And this is very true:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

just remember that anything you EVER knew about feeding your baby...forget it, its totally different to BF than to F

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM

See thats the thing newborns ALWAYS act starved naturally, when artificially fed their bodies forget what they are programmed to do, naturally a baby wants to BF 17-20 hours a day to start off with sometimes..this is to make sure moms body knows to make milk and the saliva from babies mouth also tells moms nipples what KIND of milk they need(like how much of what vitamins and stuff).  If you were not making milk your baby would've died.  No way you EBF for a week and baby did not die and you not making milk.  How about NOT ever ask that doctor about BFinginfo ever ever again.  Doctors have about 2 hours of human lactation training in the WHOLE medical schooling they have.  Lactation consultants are the person to ask.  BEST way to know if baby is getting enough milk is count diapoers..what goes in must come out after all.  1 diaper per day of age,,when 1 day old you need 1 diaper when 2 days old you need 2 diapers..after a week its 6-8 diapers a day..thats wet or messy, if its both it counts as 2 diapers!  THAT is how you know if you make enough.  ALSO once baby loses 10% of birthweight they will gain 4-6oz a week..

I bet you had plenty of milk, you were just sabotaged by doubts and the doctor just confirmed your doubts with NO real proof...makes me sad, it has happened to me too!

BTW even if supply WAS low(which I doubt) theres TONS of ways to raise supply, tons, theres herbs you can buy at GNC for like $6 that raise supply in 24 hours, there teas you can drink, theres even oatmeal yes plain everyday oatmeal that raises supply....

Quoting Red_Tempest:

I tried to BF my oldest daughter, but it never seemed like she was well-fed or satisfied.  A week after she was born, I talked to my doctor about it, and he's the one that told me i wasn't producing any.  Being a new mom, I didn't really think to question his opinion. 

I ran into almost the same problem with my youngest daughter, and because of that, I never even tried with my sons.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

lifetimelove
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:48 AM
I've NEVER leaked during pregnancy and I've breastfed 3 children. And all three acted ravenous for their first 6 weeks. That doctor sabatogued you.

There's no reason you shouldn't be successful if you want to be, aqs long as you come here for advice, lol. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 3:51 AM
Welcome to the group! My dd was born 9 months ago and we're still bf'ing! It's great you joined so early. Just keep reading and reading. There's lots of info in this group! I was part of this group for a few months before giving birth and I learned so much from the posts and I felt very confident in what I had learned through this group. Congrats on the pregnancy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 3:58 AM
Oh. One thing that I wished I would have remembered: at the hospital, put a Kleenex in babys diaper. A newborn sometimes doesn't pee enough to make the line on the diaper change colors. Luckily, we didn't have a problem as I threw out the diaper before the nurse came to look at it. Oops! I honestly didn't know she had to check it. Dd was small when she was born (6lbs 1oz). We took the hospital pack of diapers home and the dang line never changed color the whole first week! I ended up holding it under a running tap cause I figured something must be wrong with the diapers :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CAgirl1214
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 4:10 AM

BF is not the beautiful natural thing it's made out to be.  It's almost always difficult and it's a learning experience not just for you but for your baby.  That to me is the most important thing to remember.  It is not supposed to come easy, so when you hit speed bumps just realize you're completely normal and that just about everyone has some kind of issues to overcome.  Also, don't believe everything doctors say about BF.  MOST of them know nothing about it, the few who do have probably BF themselves.  BF the baby from the breast whenever he/she is hungry (it's that simple and that difficult).  As long as he/she is having 6-8 wet diapers a day they are not being underfed, some babies gain tons of weight, some are slower.  You will almost always reach a point where you feel like baby isn't satisfied which is likely a growth spurt, and NEVER pump to see how much milk you're making, pumps are no where near as effecient as a baby's mouth, some women with tons of milk can't pump anything, it means nothing.  Come on this group as often as you need for help or support (i learned more here than anywhere else).  Good luck!

CAgirl1214
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Oh and I didn't leak during my pregnancy with my son then ended up with an overactive letdown, so that could mean anything really.  :)

ConnorMom228
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 4:28 AM

I knew I wanted to breast feed, but at the same time I was worried as well.  I didn't know much about it, never really spent much time around babies really.  But we took to it very easily.  As far as the boobs as sex objects, I totally am with you!  Its a turn on for me, and I thought it would feel strange having a baby latched on, but really, it was the most natural thing in the world, and I still enjoy when my bf plays :-)

Dont give up trying, but if it doesn't work out, never put yourself down for it.  You want your child well fed and happy, and that's what matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)