Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RH negative and breastfeeding...question...

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:59 PM
  • 8 Replies

Is there anyone in this group who is RH negative?  If you are and have had the rhogam shot, did it in any way impair your ability to breastfeed?  Does it affect the quality of your breastmilk in any way?

These may sound like ignorant questions, (thought I hope not, lol),  but I'm looking up information on it now, and I'm not finding anything.  My DF just brought this up to me, and I am curious (and a little worried).  I want to try and do this right, so any and all answers would be helpful.  If you don't know, please bump.  

Thank you in advance!

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
matthewscandi
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I am O-, had Rhogam and breastfed for 16 months. We had no problems. The rhogam shot has to do with your blood and nothing else. It only tricks your body into thinking you have a + blood type.

mama02040608
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Being rh neg and getting rhogam should not make any difference in your ability to Bf. My mom was rh neg and got rhogam and actually gave up bf me because she produced so much that she leaked all over all day long. And because I wanted to eat all the time...I bet she had oversupply and I wasn't getting the fattier milk when I was nursing. So, I would say the answer would be no :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beaugrl0824
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM
I am, and no it didn't....I EP'd for 6 months also. I've honestly never thought about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Red_Tempest
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Thank you. :)  

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I am Rh-, I had a Rhogam shot with each child..and no it did NOTHING to my milk.

I am confused as to why you would think it would.  All the shot does is keep your body from seeing the baby whose bloodtype may be different from yours as a paracite.

With 2 kids I had to get the Rhogam shot after birth with 2 I did not...all 4 I had it whilepregnant

My older 2 kids I had issues BFing but NOT from the shot for sure..my younger 2 kids I have EBF, one for 42 months and the other is giong strong at 6 days short of a year...with one i had the shot after birth, one I did not...

Tell your man to quit giving you crazy ideas unless he has info to back it up!!

peaches_04
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM
I am and had no problems
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumbeme06
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I'm AB- and there was no negative side effect of the shot for me. Pretty sure the shot is just to confuse your body because when the positivie blood is there it tries to fight it off... but we're going on 9months strong and almost ebf.

Misty14
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM

It should have no effect. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)