Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

frozen breastmilk

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:38 PM
  • 8 Replies
i was wondering how long frozen breastmilk lasts after being thawed!

and do u just sit the frozen bag in the fridge overnight to thaw out? or do u take it out & let it sit? do u warm it with hot water or what?

i would need it thawed about 10 tomorrow morning, would it last the 2 hours im @ church an then a little after? i will be on a long trip tomorrow & need it! thanks guys ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jeffsgirl2005
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:42 PM
I always thaw mine in luke warm water it only takes a few minutes. As far as how long it lasts i have always been told it is good for 6 hours outside of the fridge. I do it all the time with my baby and never have a problem. You could always just put it in a cooler bag with ice if your worried.

Good luck and happy easter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Frozen milk once thawed can last 24 hours before it needs to be tossed..it must be in the fridge during that 24 hours though

RaLeighsMommy11
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM
what if its not in a fridge?
if u thaw it and its in a diaper bag how long would it last!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alissa210
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:58 PM
I think once thawed, only 1 hr at room temp. If you put it in the diaper bag frozen, it would last until you needed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaydence2010
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM
If you freshly pump it, depending on the room temp, it can last up to ten hours.

Once you thaw, I think only an hour. Check out kellymom.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Kellymom's storage chart.... http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

RaLeighsMommy11
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM
kellymom doesnt say how long in room temp it can last after being thawed it just says if baby doesnt finish it can be placed back in refrigerator?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM

One hour. Use or toss in ONE hour. I personally would NOT re-refrigerate. I know kellymom says you can, but not being particularly vigilant in storage habits I found that to be dangerous.

My practice was one pump = one feed, and whatever was unused got dumped within an hour. Just easier that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)