Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

unsupportive

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM
  • 42 Replies

I didn't realize how unsupportive my family is of me breastfeeding... I live in Ohio and all my family is in California. Well I went to visit them last week and dd is just shy of 9 months old and is ebf for the most part... She does eat little puff snack things and I will let her taste some foods off my plate and she gets a few ounces of water a day (our tap water has enough flouride in it for her needs) but all her meals are bm. Well my grandma said to me "I don't know why you're still breastfeeding that poor child. I would have stopped a long time ago" (she told me earlier that she wasn't able to bf her first born so she decided not to with the rest of her children because it would be unfair) and that there is no way bm is enough nutrients for a child that's almost 9 months old... (my dd is almost 17lbs and has what I call "thunder thighs" (haha) because her little legs are so chunky) My sister was shocked that I was still bfing and that she thought it was "really weird and kinda gross". We went out to eat and she asked if I was going to bf Reh while we were out and I said if she gets hungry I will feed her. She rolled eyes and said "Well I really hope she doesn't get hungry" she did and I fed her anyways.... I got really annoyed when my mom, uncles, aunt, sister, and grandma all asked at seperate times how long I was planning on bfing and I told them that I will let Rehgan make that decision when she's ready to stop I'll stop. They all gave the same response "well you're not going past a year right? cause that's just weird. i don't want you to be one of those moms that has the kid on the tit forever" UGHHHHH really?? I'm doing what's best for my child and you're just giving me crap for it? My dad is the only one who never said anything negative. When I would complain to him about the rest of the family he just says "it's your child and you're doing what best for both you and her don't listen to them." thank god he doesn't think I'm weird :(
Theres really no point to this post but I just needed to vent.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
savannabooker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:52 PM
I know how you feel. My mom and grandma are the same way. It gets really annoying. I just smile and nod and say its my body my baby thanks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumbeme06
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:55 PM

I guess I'm lucky I don't have to listen to that everyday haha. My mom seemed to be worse when the rest of my family was giving me a bad time because I talk to her almost everyday and half the time I'm feeding dd and she knows it and never says anything except sometimes she'll throw in a "do you have her on baby food yet" and I say no and explain that I'm doing baby led solids and that with everything I have researched a baby doesn't really need anything other than bm for up to a year. ugh whatever. haha

star33
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM
That's too bad.keep ur head up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I think people really don't understand that BM changes, they think its like cows milk or formula that everytime it comesout its the same as the time before.  BUT our babies saliva changes the milks composition feeding to feeding..it even has stuff in it that makes them more tired in the evening and more wide awake at certain times...our bodies are amazing but people don't understand that.  They also don't get that babies have to have BM or formula for the whole first year(it used to be 6 months or 9 months a long time ago) and they also dont understand that formula has alot of negative risks like obesity, SIDS cancers asthma diabetes etc where as BM has none of those

mollysmom328
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Wow. . I'm really lucky.  My mom is expecting me to BF for at least a year.  Mentioned that I shouldn't start her on boxed rice cereal ever, lol she's being pretty open with all of this.  Shockingly since neither her or my sister BF.

I don't think I'll be so lucky with my MIL.  She mentioned before I even had my daughter that "you really only NEED to BF till 6 weeks. . um, hello, what am I going to do after 6 weeks then??

gumbeme06
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:11 PM

yeah there's just no educated my mother or grandmother. they're set in their ways... they botth formula fed all their babies (my sister and I included) and anytime I try and tell them the benifits they just say well you all were on formula and turned out just fine. oh well... I'm glad I made the decision I did when I was pregnant to breastfeed... it has been the best bonding experience I could have ever asked for

gumbeme06
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM

6 weeks??? oh my goodness.

mollysmom328
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Yeah. . we're at 4 weeks now, so I'm expecting her to start saying something by 8 weeks or so, lol.

Quoting gumbeme06:

PUMPKIN1117
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:26 PM

thank God for your dad! i'd be snapping on all those ppl. just reading your post pissed me off bad! lol

gumbeme06
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I really wish people would learn to not put their 2cents in unless asked for advice... ESPECIALLY when it comes to what you do with your child.

Quoting mollysmom328:

Yeah. . we're at 4 weeks now, so I'm expecting her to start saying something by 8 weeks or so, lol.

Quoting gumbeme06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)