Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need quick answers plz!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM
  • 14 Replies
so my hubby and i decided to buy some smirnoff ice cuz its a holiday and it was my bday a wk or so ago..I know i could look this up my self but figured I'd ask u ladies....how long does alcohol stay in ur system? These are like 4sometthing % alcohol and I'm only planing on having like one or two..I have some fresh milk and some frozen so I am ready if my little man needs it but I'd just liken to know about how long u think it'll b in my system?...I know the rule of thumb is "safe to drive safe to nurse" but i haven't drank since before my second was conceived so idk if that has something to do with it also or not..oh and I haven't drank anything yet but plan to soon so tia for any replies..

HI! im a 22yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to 3 BOYS. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM
i was always told to wait 2 hrs after drinking them and then add another 2 for everyone u have! idk how true that is so maybe someone else can tell u for sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumbeme06
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:19 PM

safe to drive safe to nurse.

Alissa210
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Safe to drive, safe to nurse. You are correct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Nursing mothers who choose to drink alcohol during the postpartum period should carefully plan a breastfeeding schedule by storing milk before drinking and waiting for complete elimination of alcohol from their breast milk after drinking. Mother risk has created an algorithm to estimate how long it takes to eliminate alcohol from breast milk.

Below is their algorithm:

Alcohol elimination chart

*1 drink = 340 g (12 oz) of 5% beer, or 141.75 g (5 oz) of 11% wine, or 42.53 g (1.5 oz) of 40% liquor.

Here are two of their examples:

Example no. 1:
For a 40.8-kg (90-lb) woman who consumed three drinks in 1 hour, it would take 8 hours, 30 minutes for there to be no alcohol in her breast milk, but for a 95.3-kg (210-lb) woman drinking the same amount, it would take 5 hours, 33 minutes.
Example no. 2:
For a 63.5-kg (140-lb) woman drinking four beers starting at 8:00 pm, it would take 9 hours, 17 minutes for there to be no alcohol in her breast milk (ie, until 5:17 am)

They also note the following:

Because alcohol elimination follows zero-order kinetics, drinking water, resting, or ‘pumping and dumping" breast milk will not accelerate elimination. Unlike urine, which stores substances in the bladder, alcohol is not trapped in breast milk, but is constantly removed as it diffuses back into the bloodstream.

from this site: http://www.realtechmom.com/alcohol-and-breastfeeding/

SAHMOF2B1G
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM
Doc told me with mine to wait 6 hrs and 2 for each one.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

i was always told to wait 2 hrs after drinking them and then add another 2 for everyone u have! idk how true that is so maybe someone else can tell u for sure

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:54 AM
I've had one while nursing. =) the only time I wait to nurse is if I've had more than two drinks. Three babies and I've never seen any ill effects. I just try to time it so I have my drinks right after nursing. After two drinks I wait an hour per drink. Not that it happens ver often, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:55 AM
And my midwives told me not to worry about one or two drinks, as long as I don't make it a habit. No one even thinks about it in Europe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bren07
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:19 AM
That's a great chart..thanx...

Quoting ncoates04:

Nursing mothers who choose to drink alcohol during the postpartum period should carefully plan a breastfeeding schedule by storing milk before drinking and waiting for complete elimination of alcohol from their breast milk after drinking. Mother risk has created an algorithm to estimate how long it takes to eliminate alcohol from breast milk.

Below is their algorithm:

Alcohol elimination chart

*1 drink = 340 g (12 oz) of 5% beer, or 141.75 g (5 oz) of 11% wine, or 42.53 g (1.5 oz) of 40% liquor.

Here are two of their examples:

Example no. 1: For a 40.8-kg (90-lb) woman who consumed three drinks in 1 hour, it would take 8 hours, 30 minutes for there to be no alcohol in her breast milk, but for a 95.3-kg (210-lb) woman drinking the same amount, it would take 5 hours, 33 minutes. Example no. 2: For a 63.5-kg (140-lb) woman drinking four beers starting at 8:00 pm, it would take 9 hours, 17 minutes for there to be no alcohol in her breast milk (ie, until 5:17 am)

They also note the following:

Because alcohol elimination follows zero-order kinetics, drinking water, resting, or ‘pumping and dumping" breast milk will not accelerate elimination. Unlike urine, which stores substances in the bladder, alcohol is not trapped in breast milk, but is constantly removed as it diffuses back into the bloodstream.

from this site: http://www.realtechmom.com/alcohol-and-breastfeeding/

HI! im a 22yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to 3 BOYS. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

Char07
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:00 AM
Yep this :)

Quoting lifetimelove:

I've had one while nursing. =) the only time I wait to nurse is if I've had more than two drinks. Three babies and I've never seen any ill effects. I just try to time it so I have my drinks right after nursing. After two drinks I wait an hour per drink. Not that it happens ver often, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bren07
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM
Figured I'd up date..lol..I had one drink and couldn't drink ne more cuz it made my tummy all bleh..but luckily Gabriel took the bottle. We tried with two different types because he hated the first one, a breast flow, but the second, a "cheap" gerber, he liked and did great with. He even took it from me..it makes me happy that he will take bottles so my hubby and i can take up date nights occasionally again...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)