Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding in front of older kids

Posted by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM
  • 102 Replies
for those with older kids, do you breastfeed in front of them... If so, what are their ages and are they boys or girls? My 3 year old son is oblivious to me feeding the new little guy. I don't are that my 5 year old daughter see's anything. My 8 year old son though, does notice. I am not sure if it is something that you just say "it's natural, it is what they are for"... Do you cover while I can, until baby takes cover off like all my kids ended up doing, lol... I can't leave the room each time baby feeds.

Just wondering what everyone else does.

I am strong because I am weak.
I am beautiful
because I know my flaws.

I am a lover because I am a fighter.
I am
fearless because I have been afraid.

I am wise because I have been
foolish.

& I can laugh because I've known sadness.

by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudMomma0609A
by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I feed where ever my dd is hungry. My oldest ds is 4.5, and middle ds is 23 months. Both are oblivious for the most part. My 4.5yo knows whats going on as I bfd my 23mo. He just tells me "sister needs some milk" all the time. I also feed in front of their cousin who is a boy and is almost 5. I dont see the problem with it. My 4.5yo pretended to bf my friends daughters babydoll when I bfd my 23mo...I didnt stop him. I think children should think its dirty or be ashamed, I want them to know its perfectly natural and that their is nothing to be ashamed of when providing natural nutrients to a baby the way our bodies were made to :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I have 4 boys...almost 9,7,4 and 1 my younger 2 are the ones I EBf and my older 2 think its totally normal.  In fact they think formula is yucky.  I don't cover at all.  I even pump in front of them.  Its normal and I am feeding the baby...no big deal.

Melame68
by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM

i have a 5 year old girl and a 2 1/2 year old girl. i nurse in front of them. it just make it totally normal. babies eat breastmilk. that;s all there is to it. no explanation needed

momma2an_angel
by on May. 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM

well I tandem feed my 2 yr old and my 10 month old. But when I go over to my sisters house she has a 6 year old boy and I have nursed both of my kids in front of him. He asks every once in a while but I just tell him thats how babies eat.

ALOUDWHISPER
by on May. 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM

i try not to nurse in front of my 7yr old son & 5 1/2 yr old sd ,SD seems to stare & that bothers me & my son just likes the baby but he's old enough to not be that close to my boobs, i was at the mall play area yesturday & i actually covered i feel very uncomfortable around the kids that are at an age in between so like 5-12 now after that kinda depends i mean my 10 & 13yr old neice i don't care but they also know that i nurse but the 5 & 7 yr olds make me feel wrong because they are still boobs

Forget-me-not
by on May. 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM
I feed my son whenever he asks, in front of my older kids ( 15 and 10 ) I also BF in front of their friends, my friends and I don't use a cover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on May. 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM

My seven year old niece was over at my house the other day while her parents were at the doctor. DD started to get fussy and I said, "Aww, do you want some milk?" and I pulled out my breast and began to feed the baby.
My neice looked over and said, "Where's her milk?" I said, "It's right inside my chest. Mommies get milk to in them when they have babies." She said, "Oh," and kind of shrugged.
A minute later she looked back and said, "Does it hurt?" I said, "A little, at first, but not anymore." She said, "Oh," and shrugged again.

It was that simple. Lol. I don't know why people have such a difficult time explaining it to children.

KairisMama
by on May. 16, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I BF in front of my 4 yo, 7 yo nephew, 11 yo niece, and have also done so in front of many younger cousins on my DHs side. No one even asks.

dsmills8668
by on May. 16, 2011 at 7:04 PM
my dd is almost 3 and she was very curious in the beginning..now shes gotten used to it. i just tell her some babies drink bottles and some babies drink mamas milk. i also bf in front of my best friends twin girls they are 5 they were very curious too when they first seen. my friend made them go in the other room at first becuase they were looking at me like i was crazy lol, when they were at my house for a visit they asked questions lilly asked if jay liked chocolate milk becuase my nipples r brown lol i thought that was funny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lukesmyboy
by on May. 16, 2011 at 7:04 PM
I nurse infront of my 11 year old son and my friends nurse infront of him too. Doesn't phase him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)