Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

night feedings :(

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM
  • 15 Replies
My baby will be 1 at the end of the month. I still bf. During the day she will only nurse once or twice. Sometimes she can go all day without. But at nigh she wants to eat every couple of hours. I'm not sure hot to break her from nursing at night.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elismom122003
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:27 AM

I can not offer you help, but my daughter is 21 months and I have still not figured out how to stop her from night nursing. We have coslept her whole life, so I just don't know what to do. I will be watching this post, for what will hopefully be some helpful answers!

mommyakabooby
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Mine is 16 months, he still night nurses. He's so busy during the day he doesnt usually stop to nurse, so I just figure he's catching up at night.

countrygirlkat
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Are you ready to stop nursing completely?  If you do break her of nursing at night and she only feeds once or twice during the day your milk will probably dry up so just be aware.  If you are ready to wean her though then you need to work on her finding another comfort and way to put herself back to sleep when she wakes up at night.  Instead of feeding her when she cries you need to comfort her in other ways and teach her to comfort herself.  Also if you aren't already feed her a snack before bed so that you know for sure it isn't that she is waking up out of hunger. 

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 21, 2011 at 12:31 AM
My dd is 21 months and maybe in the last month, has finally cut down the night nursing. Fom about 18 months, I would tell her, "shh, go to sleep, mommy is sleeping, milk is sleeping" and she would fuss a little but go back to sleep (she's in my bed, cosleepers here). Until recently, she was waking 1-5 times a night.

Quoting elismom122003:

I can not offer you help, but my daughter is 21 months and I have still not figured out how to stop her from night nursing. We have coslept her whole life, so I just don't know what to do. I will be watching this post, for what will hopefully be some helpful answers!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kat770
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:37 AM

my 26 month old still night nurses.  pick a few consecutive days where you'll be mostly staying around the house (around 1, my DD became too distracted to nurse in public very much, unless she has a big, immediate need).   Offer her boobies a lot during the day.  Try to get her to load up on her boobies.  Before bed, give her high-protein food.  Hard boiled egg, cheese, lunchmeat, and let her drink all the water she wants before you nurse her to sleep (just assuming you nurse her to sleep in bed, I guess, since that's what I do and have always done). 

Any chance that baby can smell your milk and that smelling it wakes her up?  Babies have VERY keen sense of smell for their mom's milk.  My 2 year old will wake to nurse, but if I'm away overnight and she's in bed with just my DH, she won't wake the same way.... it's like she settles for less, but she holds Mama to a higher standard... lol.

Kat770
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM

BTW I'm not suggesting separating yourself from baby yet, and if you do, I recommend it being different bed but same room if that's possible, so you can still respond to her.

elismom122003
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. My biggest problem is that she  seems to just get angry and said "milk! Mine!" or something to that effect and just scream and cry until I give in. Everyone says just let her scream, but I have such a hard time denying my daughter of something that I know she loves. However she nurses WAY too often, multiple times throughout the day and 1-4 times at night. I don't WANT to quit, but she just got her first cavity, so I feel like it is my fault because of the constant milk in her mouth at night.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My dd is 21 months and maybe in the last month, has finally cut down the night nursing. Fom about 18 months, I would tell her, "shh, go to sleep, mommy is sleeping, milk is sleeping" and she would fuss a little but go back to sleep (she's in my bed, cosleepers here). Until recently, she was waking 1-5 times a night.

Quoting elismom122003:

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 21, 2011 at 12:52 AM
Breastmilk does not cause cavities! It actually has antibacterial properties that reduce the liklihood of dental caries. http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfeed_caries.htm

Your poor dd may have unlucky bad mouth chemistry. My oldest ds is 10 and has had 5 cavities and ey say he has 3 more (but expecting those baby teeth to fall out in the next year or so) and he's my one who weaned the earliest (15 months) and nursed e least at night.

Quoting elismom122003:

Thanks for the advice. My biggest problem is that she  seems to just get angry and said "milk! Mine!" or something to that effect and just scream and cry until I give in. Everyone says just let her scream, but I have such a hard time denying my daughter of something that I know she loves. However she nurses WAY too often, multiple times throughout the day and 1-4 times at night. I don't WANT to quit, but she just got her first cavity, so I feel like it is my fault because of the constant milk in her mouth at night.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting elismom122003:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 21, 2011 at 12:56 AM
And yes, I understand and some nights I got more sleep by just giving in to nurse her instead of having her wake 6 times and me explain to her that milk was *trying* to sleep. When my first weaned, my dh started sleeping alone with him. The baby would wake up, see him, and realize it was no good barking up that tree, and he went right back to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BayBay2886
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM
I kinda am ready to stop nursing. She is old enough for regular milk and I know she likes it. But I have trouble getting her to drink from a cup. And at night it is impossible. From all the replies it sounds like she is going to night nurse for a while. Thanks everyone
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)