Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post-weaning hormones...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM
  • 4 Replies

So Mia has finally weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years old. I can't believe I nursed a baby for that long!!

I was so unprepared for the hormones and the sadness that came after she weaned. I really did not feel like myself. I describe it as being in a funk. Maybe a bit of mild depression?

I think the worst is over but man, what the heck happened to me!

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
cek302
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I weaned my first daughter at 17 months. It was unbearable. She was really upset about it too. I had scheduled a surgery & it was necessary to wean for this particular event. I thought she was ready but I didn't have the facts about weaning. With my second, we weaned around 20 months & she was ready. It was very gentle for her (she didn't even notice I think). I still had 2 - 3 days of weapiness. It probably wasn't as bad the second time just because I knew what to expect and was careful to follow her lead!

behning20
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I just ended up weaning last week and I totally feel the same way. With my first one, he weaned himself at 10 months and i was ready to get pregnant so I didn't miss it. But this time I had to wean my daughter at 16 months because my health has been really bad and I miss it so much! Hopefully it will just take a few weeks for our hormones to balance again!

battisarah
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:31 AM
My daughter gets breast milk only but I work full-time so she gets her breast milk via bottle during the day. Do you find its easier to wean a baby who gets a bottle 1/3 of the time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyndallsmom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Quoting battisarah:

My daughter gets breast milk only but I work full-time so she gets her breast milk via bottle during the day. Do you find its easier to wean a baby who gets a bottle 1/3 of the time?

Not sure. My oldest was supplemented almost from the get go since I had a lack of support and knowledge. She was completely on formula by 6 months. I don't remember feeling so emotional and sad about it.

Mia never really liked a bottle. I haven't been back to work so never had a need to make her take one and never forced the issue.

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)