Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NIP criticism

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: What is your experience with NIP?

Options:

Strangers generally give supporting looks or comments

Strangers have approached me with negative comments

I've been asked to cover up

I've been asked to nurse somewhere else

I've been asked to leave

I don't NIP

No one even notices when I NIP

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 112

View Results

With the recent media on NIP laws, I'm curious to know how many problems mama's have had. I think I've been lucky since no one has ever said anything negative about me NIP. 

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessnjosh87
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I've never had anyone approach me or even give me horribly dirty looks, a few older women have even said "awwww" while passing by. I'm lucky, my NIP experiances have been good.

ConnorMom228
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM
I haven't attempted it as of yet. Right now, I have pumped bottles ready to go when we leave the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tmalloy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM
No one ever notices me nip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisakansas
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Nobody ever took any notice of me, positive or negative.  seriously. :)  Of course, I didn't do it passive-aggressively either, which may account for my overwhelmingly comfortable experiences.

IllinoisHawkeye
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Quoting tmalloy:

No one ever notices me nip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM
Most people don't even notice. I have gotten strange looks and double takes and the occasional dirty glare but those are rare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

"Other"

I've gotten a few dirty looks.  My husband has overheard things said just out of my earshot.  A group of "ladies" at a casual restaurant asked to be moved to another table (I was so busy getting a newborn to latch I didn't even notice).

pixiefunk
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I was wearing my nb in a sling and an older man said "is there a baby in there?" I responded yes, and he started to pull open the sling and saw lets have a look. Um I said, "Wait let me unlatch him first" He got a horrified look on his face. Serves him right for being so forward! (And in New England of all places!)

Then at a prenatal class, I stopped in to say Hi. And the instructor asked if my lo was sleeping(in arms this time), I saidn "No! He's nursing!" She turned to the class of new moms and dads and said, "See I can't even tell and I bf 3 and have helped many women as well!"

So yea, I don't think people notice. Other than that it has been supportive looks.

KayDziedzic
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM

We've been incredibly lucky and not had any negative experiences so far, although I usually use a cover. At the museum and Target, staff members have stopped to let me know where they have comfy BF friendly areas. NIP has been a conversation starter with a few women, whose kids are now grown, that had been been treated terribly for BF, especially in public. I'm not sure how I'll respond to the first person who gives me a hard time.

Jessk
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:16 AM
Most of the time I don't notice anything. The only people that have approached me have been supportive, but that doesn't mean I haven't gotten looks and just didn't notice, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)