Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

logically, it doesn't make sense...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM
  • 8 Replies
All I've read on this site is that as soon as you don't feel the effects of medication or alcohol that it's out of your bm too. But logically I'm thinking that I'm constantly producing milk, so wouldn't it make sense that the milk I produce while under the effects of the meds or alcohol would be under the effects too? Personally i always pump an dump to make myself feel better an be cautious. Just want opinions, not a debate.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mollysmom328
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Milk is kind of like your blood.  You don't need to get rid of your blood to make the medicine and alcohol go away but your body metabolizes it so that it's gone.  Milk's the same way.  As soon as your body metabolizes it then it's gone.  It goes along with the "breasts are not a warehouse but a factory"

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Quoting mollysmom328:

Milk is kind of like your blood.  You don't need to get rid of your blood to make the medicine and alcohol go away but your body metabolizes it so that it's gone.  Milk's the same way.  As soon as your body metabolizes it then it's gone.  It goes along with the "breasts are not a warehouse but a factory"

jessnjosh87
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM

^^^ what mollysmom328 said. :) No worries, in most cases. I have had a glass or two of wine and nursed after and my DD is happy and healthy. 

misssy2000
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I dont know. My son has serious allergies and he does not have a reaction til like 24 hours later to the food I ate, so I dont see how the alcohol can be out in a few hours but kinda odd to me.

Char07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I think it depends on what it is.  For example, alcohol has always been a quick one to metabolize out, some meds are quick, some take longer, dairy can be weeks, gluten can be months, everything is different...

Quoting misssy2000:

I dont know. My son has serious allergies and he does not have a reaction til like 24 hours later to the food I ate, so I dont see how the alcohol can be out in a few hours but kinda odd to me.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 21, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Exactly  :) 

As far as alcohol and most medications go, look at it this way - you don't have to replace all of your blood to have that alcohol wear off - it leaves your blood stream on it's own.  Breastmilk behaves the same way - when it's out of your bloodstream, it's also metabolized out of your milk.  Pumping and dumping while you're under the influence of something doesn't make you less under the influence, nor does it make your milk any safer.  When you are no longer feeling buzzed, the alcohol has metabolized out of your bloodstream and out of your milk, and nursing is 100% safe.

Quoting Char07:

I think it depends on what it is.  For example, alcohol has always been a quick one to metabolize out, some meds are quick, some take longer, dairy can be weeks, gluten can be months, everything is different...

Quoting misssy2000:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 7:37 PM

YEP and you dont hear about people pumping and dumping their bloodstream to be sober right?

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Exactly  :) 

As far as alcohol and most medications go, look at it this way - you don't have to replace all of your blood to have that alcohol wear off - it leaves your blood stream on it's own.  Breastmilk behaves the same way - when it's out of your bloodstream, it's also metabolized out of your milk.  Pumping and dumping while you're under the influence of something doesn't make you less under the influence, nor does it make your milk any safer.  When you are no longer feeling buzzed, the alcohol has metabolized out of your bloodstream and out of your milk, and nursing is 100% safe.

Quoting Char07:

Quoting misssy2000:

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Alcohol metabolizes in the liver rather quickly, and converts to sugar. Food allergies are triggered by immune responses to proteins. Not all medications metabolize quickly, or completely. Some are stored in fat and are released as the fat breaks down. I never ever ever drink alcohol while pregnant. And I don't drink when I have a small baby that is nursing every 4 hrs or less. But to have a glass of wine (metabolized in 2 hours) when the baby will be sleeping for 4+ hours is occasionally alright by me. But alcohol breaks down into sugar, which is why diabetics' blood sugar rises while dtinking, and why drinking alcohol screws up weight-loss diets.

Quoting misssy2000:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)