• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wondering if this is the end?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my 2 week old has nipple preference already. My right side is his fav because of the fast flow and large amount milk it has. So I obliged him and kept him on the right but would still put him on the left for a few mins. Now he refuses to latch on bthe left at all. My right is raw and possibly cracked (its pink near the nipple). I'm in sooooo much pain during feeding and I can't take it anymore. I'm using lanolin before and after every feeding, and I'm losing my supply. I only pumped 1oz from the right and none from the left last time. I'm not sure what to do at this point!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kajira
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:04 PM

You need to get him to nurse on the left, and not worry about pumping amounts. You may not be losing your supply, just your "over supply"

How old is your baby? Is he having enough wet diapers per day?

If he's having trouble with your left nipple, try different positions, pulling your nipple (or even pump for a minute" to draw the nipple out and stimulate it before he latches.

Start with the left - always at this point until he gets over it.... and make sure he's hungry enough to suck on it to get the milk.

If he doesn't like latching, try different holds, positions etc, to encourage a good latch and "relaxation" for you and him.

Alissa210
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM
Try catching those hunger cues really early. He will take the left one eventually, he just might fuss about it. That will only be temporary though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Pumping will not tell you about your supply, so don't worry about your supply unless baby is not meeting diapers.  Raw and cracked is not normal so figuring out why is your best bet.  How is his latch?  I'd guess his latch is off and thats causing your pain.  Could he be latching wrong because of OAL/oversupply, he may favor the fast flow but be trying to slow it a little at the same time.  I would look up overactive letdown on kellymom to see if that applies because blockfeeding and/or reclining back while nursing may help.  Is your nipple bright pink/red, itchy, any signs of thrush that could cause cracking, etc... ?  Can you try latching him on the left when he's sleepy/keeping him skin to skin to encourage him to latch on the left?

Nicolenew
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM
Also I should mention ive been supplementing :-( but I plan on scheduling an appt with an lc monday. Im just worried its not enough because my mother gives him sooo much formula today she gave him 3oz so he would stop whining. Ugh.... But ni signs of thrush thankfully. Oh and he's one of those babies that if he doesn't latch right then he gets very angry and screams. Then even if he is latched after that he let's go and continues screaming. He will even push himself off and try to grab my boob and put it in his mouth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christina807
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Ditch the bottles altogether and stop letting your mom feed him. If your mom really wants to help, she can do laundry and cook the meals and clean up from the meals.

Quoting Nicolenew:

Also I should mention ive been supplementing :-( but I plan on scheduling an appt with an lc monday. Im just worried its not enough because my mother gives him sooo much formula today she gave him 3oz so he would stop whining. Ugh.... But ni signs of thrush thankfully. Oh and he's one of those babies that if he doesn't latch right then he gets very angry and screams. Then even if he is latched after that he let's go and continues screaming. He will even push himself off and try to grab my boob and put it in his mouth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM

SOunds like thrush..you need to treat you both for thrush...genetian violet painted on nips and nurse baby to treat thrush 2 times a day for 3 days.  Lanolin will make thrush worse.  1 ozpumping is normal amounts no worries.

My son prefers my right, you don't need both to EBF, but you do need to nurse atleast one side.  Have you seen a LC?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 3:13 PM

UMMM your baby you tell her to stop 3 oz is WAY WAY WAY overfeeding his tummy should be 1-2 oz in size.  YOU have signs of thrush so you BOTH must be treated.  Baby is showing signs of you having an overactive letdown for sure!

Quoting Nicolenew:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)