Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Idea.... What do you think?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM
  • 6 Replies
So, it's no secret... Pumping at work sucks! I hate doing it. I find myself dreading my pumping breaks, but then I had an idea....

My shifts vary greatly. Sometimes I work 4 hours, 5 hours, 6 hours, and 8 hours. Except on my 4 hour breaks, I take at least 2 pumping breaks. I was wondering if it would work to feed my daughter and pump on the other side right before I leave, pump once halfway through my shift, and then pump and nurse again when I get home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ashleigheg
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Eh hem... That was supposed to read 4 hour shifts... Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM

It could...I would not do that for the 8 hour shift.  You can pump once in the middle of the 6 hour shift and do fine.

ashleigheg
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM
My 8 hour shifts are the biggest problem for me. I've started taking a pumping break 2 hours in, my lunch break with no pump, and another pumping break 2 hours after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:06 AM

You can certainly try some other arrangements that involve fewer pumping breaks. For some moms, they can pump fewer times (like pnly pumping 3 times instead of 4 times in an 8 hour day) and still get the same total output of milk. When some moms try to do this they don't get more milk in those farther spaced sessions and they come up short. You won't know how your body will repsond until you try!

Give it a try and if you don't get enough milk then you can always go back to your old schedule.

ashleigheg
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM
That's why I stayed with only doing 2 pump breaks in an 8 hour shift. Even with not pumping at my lunch, I still pump 10-11.5 oz in an 8 hour shift. And, since I pump enough on my days off, that just goes into my freezer.

I'd just hate for doing this to hurt my supply.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

You can certainly try some other arrangements that involve fewer pumping breaks. For some moms, they can pump fewer times (like pnly pumping 3 times instead of 4 times in an 8 hour day) and still get the same total output of milk. When some moms try to do this they don't get more milk in those farther spaced sessions and they come up short. You won't know how your body will repsond until you try!

Give it a try and if you don't get enough milk then you can always go back to your old schedule.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
06-07mom
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:45 AM

when i worked after i had my daughter I only pumped maybe if i was lucky 3 times in 8 hours. not good for me. when i worked 4 hours I fed her before i left and didn't pump while at work and then fed her asap when i got home. i didn't leave a bottle either I don't think and she was fine but every baby is different. i did end up quitting my job because i just couldn't keep my supply up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)