Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

good idea or no?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
my son is 7 months and going thru the curiosity phase. he won't stay latched for more than 5 mins total. not annoying at all lol. I was wondering if when he unlatches I should pump and then give it to him? he'll take the bottle fine. I just don't want to loose my supply. TIA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessnjosh87
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

You could, or you could wait until you know he's REALLY hungry and feed him then, or you could take him into a darkened room and nurse him there...you have options ;)

theatrelover86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM
I have done all of these lol. waited a long time, and gone into a dark room lol. at night he does ok cuz he's half asleep but when he's awake it's like trying to nurse an alligator lol. I don't mind giving him a bottle as long as there is BM in it.

Quoting jessnjosh87:

You could, or you could wait until you know he's REALLY hungry and feed him then, or you could take him into a darkened room and nurse him there...you have options ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Not a good idea. Pumping and giving him the bottle will not only gradually decrease your supply, because he'll take less from you (even if he only nurses for 5 minutes, he probably gets mote than you can pump in 20), he might start to prefer the bottle and refuse the breast. Mom should never give a bottle.

Nurse before solids, and go with the flow. When he needs more, he'll nurse more and your body WILL make more. Five minutes is fine. Except for when he's falling asleep or unless I nurse him in a baby carrier, my 6 month old only nurses for maybe 5 minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Quoting lifetimelove:

Not a good idea. Pumping and giving him the bottle will not only gradually decrease your supply, because he'll take less from you (even if he only nurses for 5 minutes, he probably gets mote than you can pump in 20), he might start to prefer the bottle and refuse the breast. Mom should never give a bottle.

Nurse before solids, and go with the flow. When he needs more, he'll nurse more and your body WILL make more. Five minutes is fine. Except for when he's falling asleep or unless I nurse him in a baby carrier, my 6 month old only nurses for maybe 5 minutes.

maggiemom2000
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM
I definitely would not pump and bottle feed. I think if you do that you will very quickly find yourself no longer breastfeeding. Stick it out, thus is a normal phase that babies this age go through. Try to find a couple of times during the day when you can limit distractions. Always nurse before solids. He's probably getting a lot more than you think in those 5 minutes!
theatrelover86
by on May. 22, 2011 at 6:53 AM
thanks mamas!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckyme7
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:26 AM
I wouldnt. You don't want him to prefer bottle over brfeast and do nursing strike.
Melissa15
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:37 AM

I agree that there is no need to and that he'll get more in 5mins than you will pumping, even though he gets distracted he'll still be getting as much as he needs and your supply will keep up.  Just wanted to mention as no one else did that if you do offer something instead of nursing, try a cup instead of the bottle :)

Char07
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM
I agree with the pp's, bottles in place of nursing will only cause problems. My dd's have all done the same thing, they realize they have to nurse if they ate hungry. Have you tried a sling? My sling is great for keeping my 11 mo focused on nursing instead of everything else going on :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM
My baby did the same thing... We just pushed through... Changing positions during feedings helped sone. When he hit another growth spurt he stopped being distractible, and he has been eating like a champ since. I would not switch to bottle because then he may be hard to switch back at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)