Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Choking, TT, and supplimenting

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM
  • 9 Replies

DD has had a posterior TT clipped about a week and a half ago, the general consensous was that she would still be unable to nurse :(  I am a very optimistic person and wanted it to work so badly, but now I am having doubts...  She is barely making diaper counts (I at least think she is) after having HUGE sopping diapers, urine is more concentrated, less and smaller poops, very fussy and cranky after being pretty happy.  I know that we're back in the newborn nursing stage, but she has increased her nursing sessions even more and lengthened them, seems less content after nursing, and just a very grumpy baby all around now.  She also went from sleeping through the night to waking several times to nurse (I know.... normal for most babies, but never has been for her).  I am worried that she is not getting enough and feel like my supply has also taken a hit.  She used to only want one side and would refuse when I offered the other, but now takes both sides and still wants more.  Between 7 pm ans 1 am, even after several feeding, her diaper was virtually dry.

Now for the choking issue.  I know that I do not have OAL/OS, no spraying, no gulping/choking on letdown, I have to handexpress to get a little bit out and then it still takes her a while to have milk in her mouth, she won't suck without compressions, yellow poops, ect.  But Pippi is having a horrible time with what I think is choking.  The whole time she feeds, she makes a sound like she is clearing her throat and will occasionally huff/cough and spit milk everywhere.  Ironically, her first feeding is her best when I am a little fuller from sleeping, it's when she has to work more for her milk that she is having these difficulties.  Her face goes bright red and her eyes kind of roll back, then she'll snap out of it and nurse fine for a bit, then start breathing funny again.  I don't think it's because she's frustrated because there is quite a bit of milk in her mouth... 

Weight history just in case!

Birth: 5 lbs 12 oz

3 days old: 5 lbs 1 oz

1 week: 5 lbs 3 oz (some supplimenting, not meeting diaper counts, hadn't passed meconium, dehydrated)

2 weeks: 5 lbs 6 oz

4 weeks:  5 lbs 15 oz

6 weeks: 6 lbs 7 oz

8 weeks: 6 lbs 6 oz (started EP after this appointment, brick dust in diaper, no poop for 3 days, 10 days, 3 days prior to appointment)

9 weeks: 7 lbs 6 oz

16 weeks: 9 lbs 13 oz

20 weeks: 11 lbs 6 oz

Need to weigh her this week now that she has been back on the boob

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ardiaxe
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM
This sounds like reflux to me. Both of my kids did this. Breastmilk soothes reflux, so the faster flow may be helping it.
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Oh, I probably should have added that.  Thanks!  She has finally been diagnosed with reflux, she would shriek for hours after feeding and I think the Prevacid helped.  I tried weaning her off it and going dairy free, but it hasn't helped even if she isn't screaming any more.

kdasgirl
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Quoting PoodleMum:

Oh, I probably should have added that.  Thanks!  She has finally been diagnosed with reflux, she would shriek for hours after feeding and I think the Prevacid helped.  I tried weaning her off it and going dairy free, but it hasn't helped even if she isn't screaming any more.

My first had reflex and had to take the Rx meds until he was almost a year old. I would try putting her back on it until you get the nursing back to normal, then try weaning her off again. Isn't it disappointing though? I thought once we had Melody clipped things would be smooth sailing, but we are still struggling. Good luck. **hugs**

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 6:07 PM

HMM sounds to me like they didn't clip her tongue enough..it happens often.

SOAKING wet diapers count as 2 diapers btw.

My son was STTN from 8-12 weeks I mean 10 hours at night not waking even when noise everywhere, nothing woke him.  One night all night sleeping the next up every 2 hours and it was every 2-3 hours from then til about a month ago..he JUST turned a year.  Now some nights its every 3 hours some nights its 8 hours straight sleeping who knows.

I hear reflux and growth spurt, since shes finally back at the breast she will hit growth spurts at different time..her saliva being at the breast tells your body what kind of milk to make so she will naturally be at the breast tons and seem miserable when not.

Continue with meds for a while..dairy doesn't cause reflux necessarily

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Super, I guess I'm just going to have to work around it because we can't afford to get it clipped again :/ 

We haven't had a soaking wet diaper in a week, even after sleeping through the night while waking up to eat.  10+ hours between getting changed in the morning...

Back on the meds we go!  I'll step up the pumping and maybe break out the SNS again.  Thanks for all the help :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 7:38 PM

You can do it momma!!! As she gets older the tongue tie will stretch too.

Char07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Yes yes yes! Anna is doing so much better than when she was little and every chomp was worth the fact we are still birding and doing so well. PM me if you ever want to talk, complain, need encouragement... I know how much it helps! Also have you seen a chiropractor or CST, they are both recommended for TT and reflux issues (and TT can cause reflux problems so it may all be related still). You are doing great!!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Oops nursing not birding???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Lol, I was so confused for a minute, my name is Anna!

She got adjusted this week :) I love my chiro, he is great with babies. Hopefully with more adjustments she'll keep improving!

Quoting Char07:

Yes yes yes! Anna is doing so much better than when she was little and every chomp was worth the fact we are still birding and doing so well. PM me if you ever want to talk, complain, need encouragement... I know how much it helps! Also have you seen a chiropractor or CST, they are both recommended for TT and reflux issues (and TT can cause reflux problems so it may all be related still). You are doing great!!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)