Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you stop breast feeding?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM
  • 37 Replies

I'm planning on BF my lil' guy when he gets here, i'm having trouble on deciding when it will be best to stop. Everyone has so many different oppinions! Would love some experienced feedback or feedback in general on the topic!

by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortycmlb
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

My max time limit is 2-3. Im pretty much going to let her self wean but I do need my boobs to myself. And people have a misconception about nursing toddlers. Most of them only nurse 2-4 times a day. And thats varied form 1 or 2 and up. It just depends on how much comfort they need. But Im going to shoot for 18 months. DD is 7 months and I already want my body back......

kajira
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM

my first weaned at 26 months.

i'll wean my daughter when she self-weans.

my limit is probably 4-5 though if they haven't started weaning by then, i'll probably start encouraging it.

MammaQuinny
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM
My son is 14 mos and i am not sure... I will let him till maybe 2-2 1/2 i really dont know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughterHugs
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

haven't stopped yet :)

currently am tandeming

kfey2
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM

You will know when you are done. I went 6 months with my son and hope to make it at least that long with my daughter, a main thing though it having support. I wish I would have contacted LLL with my son, I think if I would have then we would have made it to a year at least.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 21, 2011 at 6:34 PM

My oldest daughter weaned herself at 15 months - I was pregnant and my supply dropped.

My son weaned himself shortly after his 2nd birthday, again because I was pregnant (he does still ask for milk every couple of weeks, and puts his mouth to my nipple for half a second before sying all done, but basically, he's weaned  LOL)

My youngest daughter is 5.5 weeks old - she's most likely my last, so she'll be able to wean whenever she likes without pregnancy-related supply issues pushing her along  :) 

khebert
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM

my little one is 3 weeks, if all goes well, I would like to bf her until a year.  

mama02040608
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I have 4 children, who have BF from 8mos to 30mos. There is no "wrong" length of time, though I would encourage you to go to at least a year.  It depends on your comfort level and what (if any) challenges you encounter.  I was blessed with pretty problem free breastfeeding, so I was glad to go the distance with my youngest. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Well minimum is 12 months to avoid formula and just wean to cows milk or other milk, world health organization recommends a minimum of 2 years though nursing after 12 months is no big deal..even once a day is awesome and yes you keep your milk.

I weaned my oldest at 12 weeks when my milk dried up because of the wrong type of birth control pills, weaned my 2nd at 5 weeks when my oldest got Rota virus, almost died and I was told it would pass in my milk..not true btw.  MY 3rd weaned himself at 42 months...yes months. thats 3.5 years.  He was nursing 5-7 times a day at 27 months when I got pregnant, as my milk went down so did his nursings, by the end and his brother was 6 months old he was nursing 1-2 times a month and just stopped asking, I offered the last night he nursed and said No more butties momma, I'm a big boy and he never nursed again.  Very nice way to wean.  My 4th is now 12 months and nurses like 7-8 times a day, I still offer tons just because when he gets fussy it soothes him and it works for me, its not totally necessary though becuase he eats 3 meals a day and many snacks and drinks water too.  I plan to offer atleast til 2 years old.

If you are unsure as to why people nurse past a year, kellymom.com is a site built by a lactation consultant.  She has a whole section on why to nurse past a year and how it benefits mom and baby healthwise.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM

When we first started we were only going for 6 months, then 6 months came & went. I wasn't going to give him formula so we continued saying 1 yr was our limit.  At 10 months I mentioned to DH that I had read that  it's best to bf as long as the child wants & that normal weaning in other countries is 3-5 yrs old. He laughed & said 1 yr was enough, I said ok. In the back of my mind though I  was thinking we'd go as long as possible. One yr came & I mentioned weaning & DH got wide eyed & upset & said that he was still a baby! We finally weaned at 25 months because I needed to take a medication that is dangerous for me so I couldn't expose him long term. It was really hard for me because I knew he still neede dit & wanted it but I couldn't suffer any longer  without the meds.  So we went to 25 months & wished we coudl have gone longer....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)