Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leaking, engorged and wondering if I should pump or not...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
DS is 9 days old and already sleeping for 4 to 6 hours at a time. He eats well, but while he is sleeping my breasts become painfully full until they start leakinf, and my right breast actually sprays milk at that point. Should I be pumping and freezing in between? Or would that make the problem worse because of supply and demand?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifetimelove
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:56 PM
It could make problems worse, you might end up with oversupply. However, you can pump just enough to relieve the pain/pressure, and then freeze that. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlest.angel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM
How would I do that? I know it would only be a little bit at a time, and your not supposed to add fresh milk to frozen milk unless its been cooled.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Store milk in 2-3 ounce servings - if you're only pumping to relieve the pressure, that might mean you pump that much, or it may take 2 pumping sessions to get it, with the bottle staying in the fridge until you have a "full" serving, then put that in the freezer all together.  2-3 ounces is the perfect size to use while you're away from baby, so having it in that smaller size already will make for less waste and less chance of a caregiver overfeeding  :)

littlest.angel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM
Thank you! I am so glad I found this group. My first two attempts at bfing ended around 6 weeks because of frustration. I really want to continue up to at least 12 months with this one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaurenGreen
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I have the same issue as you. I have some Lansinoh freezer bags that I really love. I pump 2 ounces from the breast that is completely engorged and painful. Then, I freeze it. Make sure to always write the time and date!

JenTheDragon
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Your supply hasn't regulated yet, also. I think it takes a few weeks. I'm not sure I would worry about oversupply right now, but then again, I have an oversupply and my LO is 10 months old. =)

mommyakabooby
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:37 PM
yes pump! It helps so much! Also, hot showers work well; let the hot water fall on your breast then express some milk by hand. I usually take mine and splash it on my face. Gives you a great complexion!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Needlesmama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM

This is what i did because i knew i had to go back to work for at least part-time and didn't want her to have ANY  formula (yuck!) and i had a good month supply in the deep freeze by the time i went to work again...now i pump at work too between hair appointments

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Store milk in 2-3 ounce servings - if you're only pumping to relieve the pressure, that might mean you pump that much, or it may take 2 pumping sessions to get it, with the bottle staying in the fridge until you have a "full" serving, then put that in the freezer all together.  2-3 ounces is the perfect size to use while you're away from baby, so having it in that smaller size already will make for less waste and less chance of a caregiver overfeeding  :)

littlest.angel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM
I am glad I pumped. I got just over 2 ounces in less than 2 mins! That was enough to make the pressure go away. Then he decided to wake up. I probably shouldn`t have fed him from the breast that I had to pump though, any thoughts on that? Also, can you place milk directly into the freezer? Or should it be cooled first?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM
I don't know about "supposed to" but when I was working I always froze right away. It doesn't matter which breast you use, really, but your other side probably will be screaming shortly :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)