Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wean or continue to bf?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM
  • 28 Replies
I need some advice ladies. I have 3 children, a 3 year old boy and 19 month old twins. All three are still nursing, and I love it and had planned to let them self wean. I found out that I'm pregnant and after talking to my doctor, I planned to continue with my original plan of self weaning. It would be hard, but I'm pretty sure I could handle the demands of a newborn and my three toddlers and my doctor agreed.
I found out a few days ago that I am expecting twin boys. While I am beyond thrilled, I now am considering weaning at least my oldest and possibly all three. I just don't know if I could handle two newborns AND three toddlers, or if my body could even produce enough milk for 5 children. I will of course talk to my doctor as well and a lactation consultant here, but I'd like some input from you ladies. You all seem so knowledgable. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlest.angel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:53 PM
Wow, I can`t imagine having 2 sets of twins! I have no advice, so here is a bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM
My head is spinning! And I am beyond impressed at your determination and ability to sound so gathered! Maybe consult with a nutritionist? Though in my experience, the advice I get for everything is to wean. Kudos to you for finding s doctor who supports your efforts! 2 sets of twins!?! God bless you. It will be crazy but good- crazy. Better too have your hands full than empty, right?! And since you're not the primary source of nutrition for those three nurslings, I don't think the demand calorically will be that great. I honestly can not imagine how exhausting newborn twin care would be, above and beyond taking care of an older set of twins and a preschooler, nursing or not. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first. Congrats and good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I have a feeling your 3 year old will wean naturally before the new babies are born...give it time.  I would use the don't offer dont refuse method and see how it goes, I bet when your milk dries up and then changes your LOs will change their nursing alot.

Your body can produce enough but again I dont think the oldest will nurse much longer

toughnsweet
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:13 PM
That's what I thought too, that he'd wean soon, but he's doing the opposite. He wants to nurse more and more often lately.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I have a feeling your 3 year old will wean naturally before the new babies are born...give it time.  I would use the don't offer dont refuse method and see how it goes, I bet when your milk dries up and then changes your LOs will change their nursing alot.

Your body can produce enough but again I dont think the oldest will nurse much longer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM
At least wean the 3 yr old, I would. I can't imagine nursing 5, that would be very taxing on you physically and mentally. Also, you need to be in top mental and physical shape to care for all 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly2573
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM

wow! Congrats! what are the odds? Well I would say wean the 3 year old best you can, w out making him too upset. The other twins I think you could keep going but you might want to wean when the newborns come ! HUGS!

Pink.Daisies.23
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:14 PM
Maybe just schedule their nursing sessions? Like the 3 yr old only in the morning/bedtime and the twins a couple more times?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Keep in mind that on average, about 50% of toddlers will self wean during mom's pregnancy. You could just ride it out a bit more and see how it goes. Maybe some don't offer don't refuse and trying to redirect before they ask, especially with the 3 yr old.

Congratulations by the way!

MargauxG
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I just read on another post that your body can feed up to 5 babies... But It is deffanitly more important to be nursing the newborns I guess just wait and see how it goes once they are here?

kyriesmommy13
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Wow!! Congratulations, momma!! You are awesome :) I warms my heart to hear that you were considering nursing all of the babies!! I think you've gotten some good suggestions. Maybe just wait a little longer and see how it plays out. Later on in pregnancy supply tends to dwindle. Maybe that will be enough to cause your 3 yo to wean? If not, maybe you could limit the nursing sessions, starting in the months closer to the babies births? I, personally, wouldn't commit to anything yet and just see how things play out. Maybe consider mother-led weaning when it's closer to the babies birth. Nursing helps with many things, including jealousy of new siblings (as you may already know). I'd just wait a little and see, unless you are really set on weaning sooner. Best wishes, momma!! Please keep us updated!! I, personally, have never heard of a momma nursing more than 3 of her own children at one time!? But 5, that might be one of the coolest things, ever!! :) (I think nursing multiple children is amazing and beautiful)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)