Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me I'm not nuts...(overfeeding FF baby)

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

A mom in another group I'm in is feeding her baby 9-10 ounces PER bottle every 2-3 hours. Baby isn't even 2 months old yet. Another mom is feeding her son 5-6 ounces every 2-3 hours. This seems like a TON to me.

They both say that baby is so fussy that only the bottle is soothing them. What advice can I give them?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlest.angel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM
Use a pacifier? Over feeding like that can cause gas and spitting up, which causes more fussiness I would imagine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
5-6 MAYBE but 10oz?! Holy crap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
activitymode
Omg!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM
I can't even imagine. But yes, that is a wee bit much. The 2mo is getting about 3x as much formula as he needs! He probably has a belly ache from overfeeding!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM

total a day should be 32 oz MAX for FF babies..sometimes at a growth spurt when much older they can take more.

I personally think feeding a 2 month old 10 oz feedings is child abuse.

they need to gradually work the bottle down in size so that the tummy is used to smaller bottles of more reasonable size.  Often babies overeat because of tummy hurting already..silent reflux or dairy issues may be a culprit.

athenaheim
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:08 PM
How much did that baby weigh? Ds ate about 6oz every feeding. He was 10.1
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
star33
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM
No kidding.i hope they listen.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

total a day should be 32 oz MAX for FF babies..sometimes at a growth spurt when much older they can take more.

I personally think feeding a 2 month old 10 oz feedings is child abuse.

they need to gradually work the bottle down in size so that the tummy is used to smaller bottles of more reasonable size.  Often babies overeat because of tummy hurting already..silent reflux or dairy issues may be a culprit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaurenGreen
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I don't know how much either weigh, I just know they're less than 2 months old because they're in the same due date group as I am. I couldn't imagine a baby drinking that much =o

mama02040608
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:16 PM
Size doesn't matter. All babies have the same sized tummy at birth. But like you said *maybe* 6oz...but 10oz every 2-3 hours? That's overkill!

Quoting athenaheim:

How much did that baby weigh? Ds ate about 6oz every feeding. He was 10.1
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MargauxG
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM

That is crazy! 9-10oz is way to much for a baby that little! They should see if the baby has gas or reflux or colic...idk 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)