• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!!!! :(

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM
  • 9 Replies
My son was born Tuesday and I have horrible blisters on my nipples. Nursing is excruciating :( He is my third baby (I nursed my daughter for 17 months and my son for 22) so I'm not new to breastfeeding but I've never dealt with this before. At our checkup yesterday I spoke with a LC and she said his latch is good ad it should heal up in a day but it's not getting any better :( He is on me nearly 24/7...could that be why? How can I heal them? They are reddish...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CoastieWifePR
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM

This product seriously SAVED my life when I had my daughter.  BF was painful and a horrible experience those first few weeks...  But this helped me heal fast, I just used it after every feeding...  I got it at babies r us...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM

YOu need to have him checked for tongue tie!! Is the nipple ever shaped like a tube of lipstick?

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 21, 2011 at 9:11 PM
I swear by those Soothies pads. I think they're glycerin? I put them in the fridge and put them back on immediately after nursing (after air drying nipples). I used lanolin very sparingly and that seemed to help a little, too. Too much lanolin made the sores weepy and gooey. Was the baby checked for tongue tie? The first 2 weeks of bfing have always been painful to my nipples, 4 babies, and I think we were doing everything right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:50 PM

If you are getting blisters on your nipples then the latch is NOT okay!

Latching and Positioning Resources

No matter what latch and positioning look like, the true measure is in the answers to these two questions:

1. Is it effective?
  2. Is it comfortable?

Even if latch and positioning look perfect (and, yes, even if a lactation consultant told you they were fine), pain and/or ineffective milk transfer indicate that there is a problem somewhere, and the first suspect is ineffective latch/positioning.

If baby is transferring milk and gaining weight well, and mom is not hurting, then latch and positioning are - by definition - good, even if it's nothing like the "textbook" latch and positioning that you've seen in books.

If latch is correct, then baby could be latched on 24/7 and your nipples still will not be damaged. While "constant" nursing is normal for a newborn, if your LO really is nursing excessively it may be because he is having a hard time transfering milk. This is anohter indication of poor latch.

Can you get in to see an IBCLC (not just an LC). YOur baby needs to be evaluated for suck dysfunction and tongue tie. Here are some links to some resources in the meanwhile:

http://lowmilksupply.org/latching.shtml

http://lowmilksupply.org/tonguetie.shtml

Finding an IBCLC

samuelsmom936
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I didn't have blisters or anything but for sore nipples i put breast milk on my nipples and let them air dry.

youngmommie19
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:58 PM
I have that I honestly popped them and put breast milk on them and they healed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sanj1213
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:04 PM
Breast milk always worked for me. I didnt have blisters but they bled and were scaby and bm healed them pretty quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM
So even tho they are wet with breast milk from him nursing should I express some onto my nipple?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samuelsmom936
by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM

yeah, express some on your nipples and let it air dry

Quoting NoR_CaL_MoMmY:

So even tho they are wet with breast milk from him nursing should I express some onto my nipple?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)