Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a baby really wean themselves before a year old?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM
  • 16 Replies

My friend said when her baby was 6 months she self weaned, and she said her baby was just really independent, and she let her( the mother) know that she was done breastfeeding. But how can a baby self wean before a year? Aren't they hungry? If you offer nothing but the breast how can they be like, eh, no thanks. I'll just not eat. My son (first born) did show little interest in the breast around ten and eleven months and 2 weeks before he turned a year he was done breastfeeding. But looking back I was giving him waaayyy to many solids.

So, I'm just wondering what else would cause a baby to wean. And I was surprised with my son, I was so upset when he was done, and it seemed like he could care less! I was so sad about not breastfeeding him, and I thought he would be too, but he didn't care at all.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blg5484
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:25 PM

DD gets "busy" through the day and just snacks through the day 5 mins doesnt seem interested but if i wait till nap time she will nap and nurse  so I guess if a mom doesnt really want to nurse she could say baby self weaned and give more food food

kyriesmommy13
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Too many solids, teething pain causing them to not want to nurse, nursing strikes, things of that nature but babies do NOT self wean before a year old (and really not usually before 18-24 months).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyriesmommy13
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM
Right! Some babies get distracted and that can be mistaken as weaning. For some babies, nursing needs to be encouraged during the first year.

Quoting blg5484:

DD gets "busy" through the day and just snacks through the day 5 mins doesnt seem interested but if i wait till nap time she will nap and nurse  so I guess if a mom doesnt really want to nurse she could say baby self weaned and give more food food

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM
if the baby is getting a bottle instead of a breast, then they are not weaned. I can't imagine a 6 month old not having either. An older baby, maybe. Like 10 or 11 months, MAYBE.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alissa210
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM
Nope. I believe there is an epidemic of over-feeding babies solids. And the majority of moms don't know about the rule of nursing before offering solids (for babies under a year old). It's leading to early weaning, and poor nutrition in toddlers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:35 PM
I'll bet that baby was getting a bottle in addition to breastfeeding. Mom probably stopped offering the breast, baby was distracted, mom didn't make nursing a priority, too many solids. Any and all of the above!
CadensMommy813
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Quoting kyriesmommy13:

Too many solids, teething pain causing them to not want to nurse, nursing strikes, things of that nature but babies do NOT self wean before a year old (and really not usually before 18-24 months).

that's great to know! I really want to nurse my daughter beyond a year!

Mom_to_Skyler
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Quoting mommyakabooby:

if the baby is getting a bottle instead of a breast, then they are not weaned. I can't imagine a 6 month old not having either. An older baby, maybe. Like 10 or 11 months, MAYBE.

Char07
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM
Yes this!

Quoting kyriesmommy13:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 23, 2011 at 3:29 AM

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

Quoting mommyakabooby: if the baby is getting a bottle instead of a breast, then they are not weaned. I can't imagine a 6 month old not having either. An older baby, maybe. Like 10 or 11 months, MAYBE.

CLICK TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)