• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

26m/o and 28 weeks preggo. . .

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM
  • 7 Replies

So, I was set to tandem. But my body threw me for a loop. I have been having really painful nursing sessions with my toddler and it has steadily been getting worse. I am refusing the middle part of the day and only feeding right before bed, if necessary, and in the AM to get more sleep.

But I don't know what to do. Half the time I want to cry, sometimes I have to unlatch him.

What can I do? Advice? Experiences?

*Answering questions and elaborating . . .*

Nipples only. No cramps or even BH's yet (and I drink RRL tea!)

I unlatch and make him open REALLY wide, and basically do like I did when he was nb, placing the nipple in his mouth.

Its like putting my nipple in a meat grinder feeling. But no wounds or blisters, so it isn't his latch getting lazy. I know it is jsut hormones making them sensitive so I've been trying to push through it.

I'm 28 weeks so I just entered 3rd tri, and I can't imagine keeping this up and my  nipples being sore already AND trying to feed a newborn. I almost caved last time because of the pain in the beginning.

And in the AM he gets some milk, I hear swallowing but not necessarily at the other times. (Also I have 1 duct that is HUGE, and he brings it down, so I know there is milk still getting to him.)

IDK.

SAH, pt working,Hypnobabies using, Natural Homebirth Having, Cloth Diapering, Extended BFing(domeperidone used), goat's milk supplemented, and pumping , babyfood making, organic feeding(when not making), ?non-vaxing, Non Circing!!, babywearing, ERFing, partial cosleeping, non-cio, generally attached crazy person who happens to also be a mom.pregnancy week by week

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rkmom82
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Cramps? 

LaughterHugs
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM

where is the pain? the latch, your uterus or what? (im tandmeing now)

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM
I have a friend who felt terribly guilty over abandoning her plans to tandem bc of nipple pain while Breastfeeding during pregnancy. Her dd was almost 2.5 and not nursing for nourishment as much as for love and comfort. So she was able to super cuddle with her dd while she took a pacifier, so she was able to continue the RELATIONSHIP part until the baby was born and things became more uncomfortable. But she felt really guilty for how she resented her toddler nursing bc of the pain. She no longer thought of it as a beautiful experience so to salvage that good feeling, she had to modify the experience. Breastfeeding a 2 year old to the point you hate it might set you up for this knee jerk reaction every time she wants to nurse. I *wish* I could have the opportunity to tandem nurse but I never get AF while bf'ing, beyond 2 yrs. I can imagine that Breastfeeding while pg can make it hard to enjoy the pregnancy, or enjoy bf'ing the little one now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkmom82
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:04 PM

I know during the first and some of the second tri my nipples where very sensitive from hormones... It did get better... Sometimes DD (22months) will kinda latch on wrong, I just tell her to open her mouth wider. I think it's from the sippy cups...

Now if it's cramps I'm 36 weeks pregnant and not every time but most of the time when DD nurses I will have mild contractions... If they get get too bad we will just take a break for a few min..

countrygirlkat
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I know I don't know as much as some of the ladies in this group about the medical facts about it all, but I do know I got pregnant with my second son when my first was only 8 months old.  I managed to still BF my first until he was a year old but right as I got into that second trimester of my pregnancy my milk dried up completely even though I was still trying to nurse.  It got too painful for me because basically he was sucking and nothing was there so since he was a year I gave up completely.  I decided not to tandum, but if I had wanted to I am sure it would have been fine to have him stop when the milk was gone and then start again with the new baby maybe or something. 

pixiefunk
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Nipples only. No cramps or even BH's yet (and I drink RRL tea!)

I unlatch and make him open REALLY wide, and basically do like I did when he was nb, placing the nipple in his mouth.

Its like putting my nipple in a meat grinder feeling. But no wounds or blisters, so it isn't his latch getting lazy. I know it is jsut hormones making them sensitive so I've been trying to push through it.

I'm 28 weeks so I just entered 3rd tri, and I can't imagine keeping this up and my  nipples being sore already AND trying to feed a newborn. I almost caved last time because of the pain in the beginning.

And in the AM he gets some milk, I hear swallowing but not necessarily at the other times. (Also I have 1 duct that is HUGE, and he brings it down, so I know there is milk still getting to him.)

IDK.

rkmom82
by on May. 22, 2011 at 2:48 AM
Im thinking hormones... I know it got pretty bad with dd... maybe try once a day, shorter nursing times, or even every other day... Just to get you through till it eases up. I would think hormones would ease up soon though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)