Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

orphan baby raccoons and breastmilk - haha

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my hubby's friend J. called him today about four baby raccoons that he found in his chimney.  The babies were weak and didn't fight too much when he *collected* them so he surmised they'd been away from their mother for more than the expected time.

The friend J. told hubby that he was going to just put them in a sack and drown them.  I can say that I know J. personally and I don't think this was ever an option to him.  Because he knows my hubby he said that to get a reaction (and some action).  Not the right thing to do but can't take it back now...

So I got online and found some wildlife rehabilitators.  One was very close.  When hubby was going to call her I said "Tell her that I have some breastmilk she can have for the babies."  He rolled his eyes at me.

(Adding that I have been donating milk to human babies but there's about 30 ounces in my freezer that's getting old.)

After talking to the lady my hubby took my son and went to get the baby raccoons.  He delivered the baby raccoons (which the lady said were totally going to "make it").  My son got to "play" with some of the more mature raccoons the lady was fostering.  He loved it :)

So finally, to the point of this story, the lady said she would *love* to have my breastmilk for the young animals she takes care of :)  My hubby mentioned it as an afterthought and she was totally onboard.  She said the only problem was that many people try to feed milk (cow?) to an orphaned baby animal and the baby animal is actually dehydrated.  Dehydration happens before starvation (which I learned in AF survival school) and milk is a FOOD, not a beverage.

So it looks like I have some milk in my freezer that may feed a wild baby :)

(I would totally donate to a human but nobody in these parts will drive 50 miles for 30 ounces of milk.)

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Awe :)  I think that's awesome!

littlelambe
by on May. 22, 2011 at 3:43 AM

interesting!! DIdn't know that about the (cow's)milk.

pcosgirl2010
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM

aww thats cool.

deciduousdream
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM
how cool!

ⓑⓡⓘⓣⓣⓐⓝⓨ ⓑⓔⓝ

Proud Mama to
Jack Kazimir

3◈20◈11
MissiAnne
by on May. 22, 2011 at 6:55 PM

That is very sweet!

superexcitedmom
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

thats awesome!!!

2manydiapers
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Lol I just found an orphaned kitten and this popped up in the google search. Makes sense though, mamals make milk for a reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:59 AM

So sweet! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)