Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it too early to stop breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband n I are planning to go for a vacation this July without our baby. I'm currently breastfeeding my baby n in July she'll only be 3 n half months when we leave for a vacation. Is it too early to stop breastfeeding my baby? My hubby n I really need a vacation cuz we just got married last Dec. ( I was already 6 mo.'s pregnant back then) n we still haven't had any honeymoon yet. Also, that's the only time I'll be available to go for a vacation cuz I'll have a school course starting Aug.
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 12:40 AM
Replies (51-52):
sara-gruntlings
by on Apr. 24, 2007 at 3:51 PM
I think the question is "who will you resent more"- your baby for keeping you from your vacation, or your husband for taking you on a vacation away from your baby. Go with your gut. Resenting your baby isn't healthy, and neither is resenting your husband. Vacations can always be planned for the future when the little one is less dependent on you.

Yes, 3 months is FAR too early to wean. Breastmilk has benefits up until 2 years old (at a minimum, and benefits extend to even 5 or 6 years old). The American Association of Pediatricians recommends ONE YEAR minimum, and they're in the pocket of formula makers. The World Health Organization recommends TWO years minimum. Breast milk is especially important for your little one if your family or your husband's family has a history of food allergies, allergies, ear infections, or obesity/weight problems.

You can bring the baby with you. You can postpone the vacation. You can pump and hope for the best. But please don't just wean without trying to give your baby as much of the benefits of breast milk as possible- especially since you say that the BF relationship is important to you.

Pumping is NOT guaranteed to keep the breast milk supply up. In fact, at this early date it will probably falter and fail. Your young one may reject the breast when you come back, etc. but at least it's an ATTEMPT. It's "seriously risking and probably destroying the milk supply" rather than "making the decision to wean".  Varying shades of gray/evil, no?

If you do decide to pump, you may actually find it even more time consuming than if you just brought your little one with you!

If you do pump, try to keep your milk production high by using a hospital grade pump (contact your hospital to rent one to bring. You want a Medela Classic or Lactina. Make sure they know you need a pump that can keep your supply up- no "Pump in Style".) Take fenugreek  to help keep supply up, and pump every 3-6 hours the way your baby would nurse. Make sure you are pumping the same amount (or more!) that the baby would nurse.

Keep in mind that if you are flying, you may not be allowed to bring the breast  milk that you pump onto the plane. Your baby will probably have to have formula while you are gone, and you  may have to throw out 2 weeks worth of pumped milk, but at least this way you will have a CHANCE of continuing breastfeeding. A shaky chance, but a chance nonetheless.
misssy2000
by on Apr. 24, 2007 at 4:03 PM
Im glad you arr taking her with you! That is great! I wouls till reccomend that you take someone to watch her so you can get some much neeeded alone time. I know that will probably be pricey but it si so hard to have any romantic time with a baby around. YOu could take a grandparent, or sister, or someone to keep the baby so you could get a few hours to you self! Well good luck and enjoy yourslelF!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)