Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it too early to stop breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband n I are planning to go for a vacation this July without our baby. I'm currently breastfeeding my baby n in July she'll only be 3 n half months when we leave for a vacation. Is it too early to stop breastfeeding my baby? My hubby n I really need a vacation cuz we just got married last Dec. ( I was already 6 mo.'s pregnant back then) n we still haven't had any honeymoon yet. Also, that's the only time I'll be available to go for a vacation cuz I'll have a school course starting Aug.
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 12:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
kerbear84
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 1:38 AM
honestly, I think your baby is still way too young for you to be leaving for 2 weeks... I would never, but we are different people. I have been married almost 2 years and never got a honeymoon(believe me living in Hawaii is NOT a honeymoon, it SUCKS!!). Since you say you really don't want to quit breastfeeding, you can always wait to take your trip until you had planned on weaning. good luck in whatever you decide!
jessnoske
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 1:56 AM
I really don't want to seem rude but the vacation can wait. Either take the baby or at least a pump. But why in the world would you want 2 weeks away from your baby. Please rethink this...I doubt you will have a good vacation away from your child when she is so tiny. You will spend the whole time wondering how she is and what she can do now. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Roeska
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:04 AM
All studies show major benefits from nine months to a baby's first birthday.  Three months is a great start, but if you can keep going, especially to nine months, that would be even better and your baby will get all those benefits.  And don't forget yourself, too!  There are great benefits for breastfeeding moms, medical and otherwise!

Check out this site.  It has lots of great information from the government about the benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby.
http://www.4woman.gov/breastfeeding/index.cfm?page=home
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:25 AM

Quoting sadiebear:

Breastfeeding is very important to me aswell. Having a vacation is not my reason to stop breastfeeding. I want to breastfeed as long as I could but I don't know how I could keep up breastfeeding if I'm going away for a vacation without my baby. I could pump but I'm planning to go away for 2 weeks. Would I loose my milk production? I don't really want to stop breastfeeding that early. I could take the baby with us but she's too young to go out of country.

Three months is *not* too young to go out of the country unless you're planning to go to some third world location where they don't have clean water. (And that's no vacation!)

Two weeks *is* a long time...but it's doable with a pump. Still, taking baby is far far preferable for all of you.
misssy2000
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:37 AM
I was married a year before I got preggo! I didnt have a honeymoon eaither so I understand. Two weeks is such a long time to be away from a new baby. First you would have to pump alot of milk. and at that age you really aint suppose to start solids so you can even give her cereal. Second say you do pump enough milk, it may be hard to get the breastfeeding like its suppose to being away for so long. your baby may be yousta the bottle and not want you, and your milk supply may have lessend becouse you was busy getting it on with hubby. If at all possible I would wait. Just becouse that breastfeeding relationship is really important at this point and you dont want to mess that up. I was in the same boat me and the hubby were suppose to go to the snow in december, my daughter was born september 28th. I had to miss it, I was so upset but we jusyt decided it was best for all of us, my daugher especially if we waited a while. Having a baby really does change your life. I was one that was such a partier before my daughter. and sometimes I really miss staying out til 5:00. or going out without a stroller I would not trade where I am in my life for anything else. Just give you and your daughter at least the first 8 months and then plan some thing, but that big of a change could really affect your bfing and for what a two week vacation. But if you have to go then pump, or see if you could get a nanny, or a family member that you trust to watch your little princess while you get your grove on! Well good luck and I hope that you enjoy your trip whenever yo take it!
Jodee
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 4:08 AM
wow...in my opinion it is way too early for both things...too early to stop breast feeding your baby and too early to be away from her for a 2 week period of time.
You will be robbing your baby of so many nutrients that she gets from your milk and for her to be away from you for such a big stretch of time will be hard for her. When babys are that young they need the parents there to build that bond...I know 3 1/2 months they already have a strong bond with their parents...but hoinestly I would think that being away for so long would really be hard on the baby.
I am newly married too. We were married last March and i was pregnant 2 weeks later. We never went on a honeymoon either. Our baby is 3 1/2 months old now and I honestly could not even imagine being away from him for even one day. I have to return to work in a week and a half and have been crying about that....i dont want to be away from him at all.  
Your baby is brand new right?? Give it time and see how you feel later on....I really hope that if you do go you will bring her with you.
Angels_mom1020
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 4:23 AM

YES!!! My husband and I have been married 2 years and never went on our honeymoon. You baby needs those nutrients!! It what keeps her from getting sick. Her immune system is still to weak plus it is very special to bond with the little one especially if you will be going to school. You will be too busy or too tired or other excuses. You should really wait on that vacation. I'm sorry but in my opinion you don't need a vacation....... you want a vacation. I haven't been on one in four years and I am perfectly fine without one. You should always put your baby first your wants and needs come second. That's just the way I feel.

vsonnier
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 6:51 AM
Personally, I cannot even begin to imagine leaving my child for two weeks...at 3 months or even now at 21 months.  We did take a 6 day trip to WDW when my son was 10 months old.  I pumped the entire time we were gone and had him dropper fed (he refused a sippy and a bottle) while we were gone.  We had no problem returning to breastfeeding when I got back but let me tell you....I spent more time pumping on our trip than I did anything else.  Not to mention the endless hours my husband and I spent talking about how much we missed our son.  Maybe you could try a shorter trip now (like a weekend in a hotel in a nearby town) and when your child gets older take the two week vacation you had planned on. 

I mean really...ask yourself whether that little bit of time away is REALLY worth the chance that your child is going to wean from breastfeeding.  I mean for me the money I saved not having to buy formual was incentive enough to keep going.
koehl7
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 6:59 AM
I think you are going to regret if you leave your child at home for 2 weeks.  Your vaction may not go good bc you will only think of your child.   When my baby was 5 months I went away for only 2 days to see my sister and i had a HORRIBLE TIME.  
xmanderzx
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 7:33 AM
I think it might be too early. My girlfriend when through the same thing when she was thinking about going away with her husband. Her pediatrician told her that since she was so young ( 4 1/2 months ) even if she pumped, when she came back - she might not want to nurse anymore. Every baby is different and so I'm not sure...and I'm not an expert - but just a thought!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)