Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insane nipple pain!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi ladies! Newbie here.

Well, I just had my second baby on the 1st and she's my little doll. I am attempting again to nurse exclusively. It didn't work out so well with my son, I was supplementing with formula thanks to a bit of PPD and zero support/help because hubby (my one man fan club!) was deployed. Then, when he was six weeks old, I was diagnosed with cancer and made to stop breastfeeding so they could treat me.

So, here we are 3 years later about to give it the old college try again.

And I'm in so much pain it's ridiculous. I'm engorged because I just got my milk yesterday. And my nipples are already ready to fall off. Especially the left one, but that's the side she started with and raised a pretty good blood blister on her very first meal!

We've seen the LC and she says Aura's got an awesome latch, she needed only a minor correction to her position at less than 24hours old and she was going to town, no problem.

The problem for me is: She has a hell of a suck. It hurts soooooo bad because it's so strong! I swear she's trying to tear the nipple off! Not to mention she'll drain the boob in 10-15 minutes, then pacify for awhile as she falls asleep.

I'm not sure what to do to get her to ease off or get my poor nipples to toughen up. Help? Please?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Sorry sweetie...I don't have any advice...but I wanted say congrats on nursing again...and God Bless~~

spcjones203
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Wish me luck, I need lots of it lol!

But I got my one man fan club home and he's being a trooper. We have our days and nights confused, so hubs is really pullin' extra duty to help me out.

Quoting NoraDun:

Sorry sweetie...I don't have any advice...but I wanted say congrats on nursing again...and God Bless~~

ritzbit
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:52 AM

This was our issue at a week old.  I had to start feeding on one side at a time to let my nipples heal between every other feeding.  I would also pump on that side if it was too sore to my let baby suck on it.  I use lanolin after each feeding too.  Hope you heal soon! 

spcjones203
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I am offering her the entire breast per feeding. Just letting her nurse until she lets go or drops off to sleep so I can let the other side have a rest. I'm going back and forth between lanolin and expressing a little milk onto my nipple and using a therashield.

Quoting ritzbit:

This was our issue at a week old.  I had to start feeding on one side at a time to let my nipples heal between every other feeding.  I would also pump on that side if it was too sore to my let baby suck on it.  I use lanolin after each feeding too.  Hope you heal soon! 

seraphimsong
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM
I'm in the same boat mama!! I had my little man on the first also and I'm trying to bf again after it not working so well w/ dd. My nipples hurt so bad too!! I've just been trying to feed on one side at a time because as of now that seems to be enough for him. I also put the lanolin on but its not so much the my nipples are dry as much as they are tender!! My lil man has a strong suction too and sometimes it hurts so bad!! Hope you can find some relief soon and if you do let me know! And if I find anything, I'll let you know :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Did they check your baby for a tongue tie? I would look for another IBCLC in your area or seek out the nearest LLL.

spcjones203
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM

The hospital's lactation consultant saw us and checked her out, watched us feed, made sure I was even producing milk (now I'm producing bucket loads!) and gave me some advice. She said my little lady was a nursing pro for being 24 hours old.

Do you think I'm just being a wuss?

Quoting Daynaof3:

Did they check your baby for a tongue tie? I would look for another IBCLC in your area or seek out the nearest LLL.

spcjones203
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:24 PM

So far, I'm taking Tylenol regularly which does help a bit. After I feed her, I let the nipple hang out and air out for a few minutes before I hand her off to Daddy so I can clean up. I alternate between lanolin cream and expressing a little milk and rubbing it on my nipple. I have the lanolin shields on my bra and I have these therashields that the LC gave me. They are hard plastic domes with air holes and they sit over the nipple. They keep my bra and stuff OFF my nipples for awhile so they aren't getting irritated by the rubbing of clothing. Medela makes them.

It's not a 100% cure-all, but it's helping somewhat over on my end. If I find anything else, I'll let you know!

Quoting seraphimsong:

I'm in the same boat mama!! I had my little man on the first also and I'm trying to bf again after it not working so well w/ dd. My nipples hurt so bad too!! I've just been trying to feed on one side at a time because as of now that seems to be enough for him. I also put the lanolin on but its not so much the my nipples are dry as much as they are tender!! My lil man has a strong suction too and sometimes it hurts so bad!! Hope you can find some relief soon and if you do let me know! And if I find anything, I'll let you know :)

MomNtheRes
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Jealous about your shields! I wish I had been given some of those. You're doing everything I know about, but here is a good luck and a bump for you! Stick through it, the first 2-3 weeks were the worst and as her mouth got bigger the pain lessoned. 

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM

No, I think you need a new IBCLC! No matter how good a latch looks if mom is having pain then something is wrong! Breastfeeding should not hurt throughout a feeding, it should not cause breaks in the skin either. Please see someone else to check for a tongue-tie, some types of tongue-ties are hard to see with the naked eye. She may also have a high palate, but one thing is for sure...if you have pain something is up.

Quoting spcjones203:

The hospital's lactation consultant saw us and checked her out, watched us feed, made sure I was even producing milk (now I'm producing bucket loads!) and gave me some advice. She said my little lady was a nursing pro for being 24 hours old.

Do you think I'm just being a wuss?

Quoting Daynaof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)