Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She came!! :-(

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

My period finally showed up yesterday, on my baby's 1st bday of all days. UGH!! It's funny how I kept saying and praying "Lord please don't let my period come until Liv is a yr old. I don't want her to decide not to nurse if it comes any time before." And then BAM! She shows up yesterday around 5pm. She didn't nurse so great yesterday evening and I suppose this could be why. I just kept offering to make sure she got enough and she'd nurse a little here and a little there. But this morning she nursed as normal. I just hope my supply isn't effected too much to where she quits on me. I want to go another week before we start cuting out the lunch and dinner feedings. 

If I think my supply is being effected by my period, would drinking the Mother's Milk tea help? I think I have a few bags in the cabinet that I kept in case my period showed and I felt I needed it. 

Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, organic servin and eatin, as Green as I can get, wahm of 2. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers and she's still breastfeeding!!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Vix920
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:21 AM

I think my supply drops a little when my period comes but goes back to normal when it's over. You should be fine.

kyriesmommy13
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM
Supply tends to dip around ovulation but is back to normal by a day or two into your period. Drinking mothers milk tea, eating oatmeal (not the overly processed instant kind; there is a whole oat/flax seed kind that is great, I think it's called Better Oats), staying hydrated, and nursing more often should help. Also, if you don't already, you may want to start taking a calcium/magnesium supplement. If you know when you are ovulating, start on your day of ovulation and continue through the first few days of your period. If your period is irregular, start taking the calcium/magnesium supplement 14 days after the start of your menstrual cycle. If you notice consistent dips in supply, it may be easier to just take the calcium/magnesium supplement daily.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonRiderMD
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Yes, any of the normal supply boosters would help. Or you can just wait it out. It usually doesn't last long enough and isn't severe enough to require help with your supply.

My supply usually dips a day or two before my period shows up, and then is normal by a day or two into it. Nothing too substantial, and I've never had to do anything special about it.

gumbeme06
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM

awww that stinks. I still haven't seen mine (dd is just over 10months old) Happy belated birthday to you little one :)

kyriesmommy13
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:10 AM
I wanted to add that ovulation doesn't cause a supply decrease for everyone.

Quoting kyriesmommy13:

Supply tends to dip around ovulation but is back to normal by a day or two into your period. Drinking mothers milk tea, eating oatmeal (not the overly processed instant kind; there is a whole oat/flax seed kind that is great, I think it's called Better Oats), staying hydrated, and nursing more often should help. Also, if you don't already, you may want to start taking a calcium/magnesium supplement. If you know when you are ovulating, start on your day of ovulation and continue through the first few days of your period. If your period is irregular, start taking the calcium/magnesium supplement 14 days after the start of your menstrual cycle. If you notice consistent dips in supply, it may be easier to just take the calcium/magnesium supplement daily.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Periods may make baby nurse less during them because of taste change but they won't dry you up at all and they shouldn't cause weaning!  I got my period at 5 weeks last time and he nursed til 42 months

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Quoting kyriesmommy13: I wanted to add that ovulation doesn't cause a supply decrease for everyone.

Quoting kyriesmommy13: Supply tends to dip around ovulation but is back to normal by a day or two into your period. Drinking mothers milk tea, eating oatmeal (not the overly processed instant kind; there is a whole oat/flax seed kind that is great, I think it's called Better Oats), staying hydrated, and nursing more often should help. Also, if you don't already, you may want to start taking a calcium/magnesium supplement. If you know when you are ovulating, start on your day of ovulation and continue through the first few days of your period. If your period is irregular, start taking the calcium/magnesium supplement 14 days after the start of your menstrual cycle. If you notice consistent dips in supply, it may be easier to just take the calcium/magnesium supplement daily.

Picture131.gif breastfeeding image by Positivemom 

unsuspected
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I didn't have my period for the forst 8 months after my youngest was born and she had the same reaction when it did arrive, she wasn't intrested in nursing. 

I assume it something to do with the all important hormones, but yeah, just keep offering.  It shouldn't effect your supply.  And I don't know anything about the MOther's Milk Tea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)