Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wondering if I'm doing everything right!!!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM
  • 6 Replies

My DD is 6 months old, and I have been ebf since she was born.  I was going to school last semester and during that time I pumped and my DF would feed her a bottle of BM, and she did great with that, no nipple confusion or anything.  I started her on baby food once a day aroung 5.5 months old. She loves that!  Lately though she hasn't been nursing the best.  She turned 6 months on the 15th of May and cut her first tooth the 16th and her second the 20th.  She nurses in the morning really good from one side and then about an hour later she will nurse on the other side, then she will go about 3 hours and nurse the same way.  She does nurse about 3-4 times a day.  Is it just that she is getting older, and doesn't need as much. I am still making milk. I just don't want to dry up yet.  I want to BF through summer and then wean her.  I'm getting married in Ocotber and don't want to be BF then!!!  She will be 9 months old when I wean her, and I have tons frozen to feed her when I wean her. Any thoughts?  Thanks!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom_to_Lincoln
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Feeding her the baby food this early could be why she is nursing less. Babyfood is just empty calories. Breatmilk should still be about 90% of her diet because it has more nutrition then any babyfood out there.

mama02040608
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Could be the teeth, could be the food. She should be nursing more often than that per day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NationsMommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM
PrObably the food. I let my 7month old practice eating every other day or so. I actually developed a bad nursing issue and now baby and I are kinda re-learning so he isn't getting ANY baby food at all until we get the nursing down. He also Practices with puffs.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM

If you want to wean at nine months, you're on the right path. Consider that it means formula for three months; be sure she will take it or you'll need to change your plans. Also consider that any breast changes are permanent and leakage can continue for a year post weaning.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM
This! If trying to use frozen instead of formula 18-24oz a day is what you need stored. Til you wean baby needs to nurse before any solids..I bet thats the issue

Quoting gdiamante:

If you want to wean at nine months, you're on the right path. Consider that it means formula for three months; be sure she will take it or you'll need to change your plans. Also consider that any breast changes are permanent and leakage can continue for a year post weaning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Quoting mama02040608: Could be the teeth, could be the food. She should be nursing more often than that per day.

Picture131.gif breastfeeding image by Positivemom 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)