Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Passing illness to baby

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a HORRIBLE stomach virus, I went to the ER twice this week because I was losing fluids both ways and horribly dehydrated. I've been nursing baby like normal, she only had a bottle of frozen milk the 1st time I was at the ER so I'm hoping she is getting all the anti-bodies she needs. This may be a silly question, but anyone know if she should be good from getting this illness? I'm really worried that if she gets it, it will be dangerous. And I'm considering pumping some and sneaking it to my 6 year old, if she ends up with this it will be pretty bad as well. My husband just got sick for the 1st time, and it has set off alarms in my head for the rest of the family. Although he was talking junk to me earlier about complaining about being sick all week, *snicker*. At least I have meds from the hospital I can pass to him for nausea and diarrhea if he keeps getting sick half as long as I did.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Shredding my ass off with Jillian's 30 Day Shred! 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM

By breastfeeding you are protecting your little one, you can offer some milk to your older child if you want as well. Try not to worry, nursing will be the best thing for your nursling if baby gets sick!

SapphireMomma
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM
This. Also. It is likely that baby won't be as sick as mom, because of the antibodies.

Quoting Daynaof3:

By breastfeeding you are protecting your little one, you can offer some milk to your older child if you want as well. Try not to worry, nursing will be the best thing for your nursling if baby gets sick!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashley1213
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM
We had a HORRIBLE stomach virus over thanksgiving, and my son was only 2 months old. He was the only one to not get it! Our nurse just told me to try and stay hydrated and to NURSE, NURSE, NURSE.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Yes... I was VERY sick for about 4 days a few months ago. I was a little worried that dd would get it. She got a little sniffle for a day or two and then was fine.

Quoting SapphireMomma:

This. Also. It is likely that baby won't be as sick as mom, because of the antibodies.

Quoting Daynaof3:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM
I got h1n1 when I was nursing and no one in my family including nursling cause they all drank some of my milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomNtheRes
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM

LOL- one of the soldiers who is always over here said he wants some of my milk so he doesn't get sick. 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I got h1n1 when I was nursing and no one in my family including nursling cause they all drank some of my milk

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Nursing is the best you can do for your baby if baby gets sick. :o) 

Picture131.gif breastfeeding image by Positivemom 

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:30 AM

LOL! 

Quoting MomNtheRes: LOL- one of the soldiers who is always over here said he wants some of my milk so he doesn't get sick. 
Quoting tabi_cat1023: I got h1n1 when I was nursing and no one in my family including nursling cause they all drank some of my milk

Picture131.gif breastfeeding image by Positivemom 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)