• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about letdown...

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM
  • 2 Replies

I dont think this is happening.  DD wants to nurse about every hour and I dont feel like me breasts are getting engorged or anything like that.  I know she is getting milk because her lips are wet and I see some left in the nipple shield (I use this because I have flat and inverted nipples.  I will be getting a shell to help correct the problem in about a week.)  But why dont I feel the engorgement and letdown.?  

Also when she eats she will suck for a bit then do nothing, like she is falling asleep then waking up...Is this normal?

She seems to be pooping and peeing normally maybe a little less than normal.  IDK this is my first child and I'm starting to get a little frazzled...

Oh, she is 6 days old...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

PitaPata Cat tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Not all mothers feel letdowns, and engorgement is a bad thing! Nursing frequently is the best way to avoid engorgement, seems you have that well covered. =)

Just keep doing what you are doing, nurse her whenever she wants. She should have at least 4-6 wets a day and 2-3 bowel movements(though some moms see them slow around the 3 week mark and that's normal!).

maggiemom2000
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM
Your breasts are not supposed to feel full or engorged. Many moms never feel the let down sensation at all, and for others it goes away over time.

Bottom line, how your breasts feel has little to do with supply. The only thing that matters is baby is having enough wet and dirty diapers and is gaining enough weight. A healthy EBF newborn who is getting enough milk is usually back up to birth weight by 10-14 days old.

Newborns are sleepy! It is normal for them to fall asleep at the breast. As long as she is getting a minimum of 8-12 good feedings in every 24 hrs it is okay if sometimes she just falls right to sleep. One thing you can try when baby starts to fall asleep is some breast compression. When baby starts to drift off squeeze your breast to get the milk flowing into baby's mouth. This will usually get baby actively sucking/swallowing again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)