Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how long?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM
  • 16 Replies

If you used fenugreek, mother's milk tea, or pumping frequently how long did it take before you noticed an increase in supply (if it worked) and how long did you use those methods for before your supply was good enough to stop? Also if you tried pumping to increase, how often did you pump? I pump every time she eats which is about 2-3 hours for 15 mins

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Usually it's seen within 24-72 hours. What has you feeling your supply is low?

luvmylilbean
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM

it's definitely very low. I met with a lactation consultant on the 1st and she weighed my 2 week old before and after feeding in grams and baby got hardly anything. and when I pump if she refuses to nurse I get less than 1/2 ounce, when I pump after she nurses I get 1-2ml and that's it. I have been having to supplement with formula because without it she only has maybe 1 wet diaper and she was losing weight. since supplementing she has tons of diapers & is gaining. This is my 3rd day of fenugreek (9/day), mother's milk tea (3 cup/day) and pumping after each feed and I haven't seen a difference yet at all :/

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Do you have any medical issues? Are you taking any medications, including birth control? How was your delivery, any hemorrhaging? Were you a preemie and have a chest tube? Every have any surgeries or trauma to your breasts?

luvmylilbean
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM
I've never had anything like that. I'm not taking any medications just my prenatal and now fenugreek. She was exactly 3 weeks early but I had a completely natural birth. I tore and had some stitches was the only thing. Right after I had her they said the bleeding was a little much but it was fixed right away, once we left the delivery room it wasn't mentioned again. Tomorrow is my baby's due date and she will be 3 weeks tomorrow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmylilbean
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM
And right now I pumped for 19 mins (both sides) because she didn't want to eat yet but it had been more than 2 hrs since I pumped and I only got a total of 6ml :( I don't know what else to do I don't know why I can't make enough for her I'm trying everything to make it work but nothing helps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyriesmommy13
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:48 PM
Some women just don't respond to pumping. That doesn't mean you have a low supply. Supplementing with formula is causing your issues, though. Baby isn't getting what she needs from you (because she is getting it through formula bottles), so the lack of nursing is telling your body to make less milk. You need to nurse more and supplement less. Also, any supplementing should be done at the breast with a lact-aid or SNS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I would check your iron levels and your b12 levels too. I second the supplemental nursing system.

ardiaxe
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM
With fenugreek, about 2 days. With pumping, it took about 2 weeks. My supply was low but I was able to pump 1-3 oz and supplement with that.it's been a month and I still need to pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmylilbean
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I still nurse her every 1 1/2-3 hours depending on her, but when she can't get any more out I give her the formula because she is still so hungry. And what is lact-aid & sns? She still nurses she just doesn't get what she needs :( Are there any other tips to increase supply? I am willing to try anything

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)