Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida WIC and getting a pump

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM
  • 18 Replies

My sister just had a new baby last week. I was wondering if anyone had experience with WIC in Florida when getting a pump. She is in Port Charlotte so she will be at the Charlotte County office. She has a hand pump right now but will be going back to work and needing an electric. Just looking for what she might experience. I am from Michigan and I only hear bad things about WIC in Michigan.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJessx3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM
I use to be on WIC and bf at the time. They never offered me a pump, but i never asked....so idk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM

She needs to call her local program to find out, every office is different. The fl website says that some do offer pumps though.

ChristmasMom08
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I live in MI and the only way you can get a pump is if you're going back to work full time- and exclusively breast feeding. I'm pretty sure it's the same for other WIC areas. 

MommyMcConnell
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM
I agree with the pp. Every office is different but I know WIC is trying to change their image and be more breastfeeding friendly. I know my office offers a double electric Medela pump for free to any mom who is working or going to school. I live in CA though. They also rent pumps to those that don't qualify for the free ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Op, she can also call her insurance to see if they cover breast pumps too.

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Every WIC office is different.

Picture131.gif breastfeeding image by Positivemom 

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Also, some insurance companies will cover a breastpump.  

Picture131.gif breastfeeding image by Positivemom 

Laceymom08
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:12 AM
Same here in Ohio

Quoting ChristmasMom08:

I live in MI and the only way you can get a pump is if you're going back to work full time- and exclusively breast feeding. I'm pretty sure it's the same for other WIC areas. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcclellanlass
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:12 AM

In AZ, they only cover "at risks" mothers and children. The mother has to be exclusively breastfeeding, and has to work and or go to school for more than 20 hours a week. 

My insurance ended up covering us to buy one. 

autrey
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Wic is a great suplamental formula program but they only supply a hand pump her best bet is to buy a electric pump I bought mine off of Ebay and is wonderful a 300$ pump for 50$ its used but milk never comes in contact with the pump itself you just buy a new pumping kit that has new shields and tubes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)