• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like a failure...

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok, first off, it's HOT today. freaking hot. I got dehydrated. My baby was dehydrated. I breastfed him, but he was still crying, hungry. I tried to nurse him more, and he sucked, hard, but didn't seem to be getting anything. I couldn't get much pumping after that, like an ounce (which I fed him, BTW) He was STILL crying. I was at a loss.

I had a free sample of formula handy. I did the unthinkable... I made him a bottle. He drank it, almost too eagerly.

We do have a good breastfeeding routine! Really! He's been getting plenty to eat! Gaining weight like he's supposed to! And now that I'm rehydrated, I had milk for his next feeding.

but why do I feel like I did something really wrong?! It's not like I'm going to make a habit of it...

embarrassed

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsIngram
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM
All my babies got occasional formula. and breastfeeding worked fine to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM
You had milk but when dehydrated letdown is slower. Baby taking formula after a nursing means nothing, but don't do it again it WILL hurt supply and it changed your babies gut. Google virgin gut. Drink Gatorade or smartwater, keep yourself hydrated and letdown will come...milk was there just fine! Btw 2oz is a full feeding so if he nursed and had 1oz of Bm the formula was overfeeding and stretched his tummy. How old is baby? Sounds like regulation and growth spurt to me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Btw no f word here....baby is not dead, baby is gonna be fine...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuprMom12042702
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM
Sweetie, i feel your pain. I got sick when my baby was 2 months old. I had bronchitis that turned to pnuemonia, i was severely dehydrated and along with the medicine i couldnt keep up with the growth spurt. So i took me about three weeks to get a complete clean bill of health. During that time he was pretty much bottle fed. I now have him back on the breast almost exclusive. There are some days he still gets a bottle or two.
But i had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomac everytime he had a bottle and watching someone else feed him bothered me so bad that i quit letting other ppl feed him.
Oh by the way my little guy is 4 months old, how old is yours?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaT1983
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM
I don't think you did anything wrong. Just always keep a bottle of water with so you won't get dehydrated again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM

We don't allow the failure word here. Had baby DIED of dehydration, we'd allow the self-flagellation. Since nothing of the sort happened.... STOP THAT! **smile**

You WILL do things you're not happy with. If you don't, then you're not human.

arismom701
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM

DId you go to the Hospital for dehydration??  That is a pretty serious thing if you and your baby were dehydrated? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)