• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lazy 1 day old...

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am in no way thinking about giving up...I just need some advice/help from people who have experience.

I had my son yesterday morning...he latches great, just doesn't suck. He did just eat from my left side for about 10 minutes...but that's the 1st time he has done alright. Any tips/ideas for getting him to actually suck...??? I think I either have a tired baby (he IS only 1 day old) or a lazy baby lol. I tried the whole tickle his cheek thing & nakey baby...Anything else that might help for the future feedings???

BTW...I doubt it's an issue right now, even though a nurse told me if I didn't get him to suck in 24 hours they'd have to give him a bottle of formula?! But he has already had 6 poopy diapers & 5 wet ones...so his diaper output is great! BTW...did NOT bend to the bottle of formula...

Due in June? Join us in June 2011 Babies!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
youngmommie19
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Just keep offering and maybe try to express some milk so he will wanna suck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyriesmommy13
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:06 PM
If he is having that many diapers, then I would think he is getting more than you actually think he is. He'd have to have a fair amount of input, to have a decent output like he is. It sounds like you are doing a great job! Other than what you are doing, you could try wiping his face with a cool washcloth, singing/talking to him, skin to skin (nakey baby, half-nakey momma), walking while nursing, and/or turning lights/music on. Keep up the good work. Congratulations on your brand new little one!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Jaylon
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I would keep on with the nakey baby, and also try pushing the bottom of his chin while he is latched on if he is falling asleep it should remind him to suck!

JamieLauren
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:45 PM
My baby did that on her first day, she practically didn't eat the whole day, just wouldn't latch. We tried everything. Finally she just latched and nursed and it was all fine. I think being born is kind of tiring...my SIL works in L&D and she told me they push nursing every x hours, but really they're just happy if baby nurses a couple times and makes diapers when they're a day old. Im sure it will pass. Congrats!
sunnyflower417
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM

i would hold my breast with one hand with a finger under her chin and push my finger on her jaw to remind her to suck. She's 6 months and I still do sometimes.

maggiemom2000
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM

First, if it does get to the point where you need to get some milk into him you DO NOT need to give a bottle of formula. You can pump and supplement with your own milk.

Here is a link to a short (7 minutes) but excellent video that shows you how to hand express and supplement with a spoon for a baby who is a little slow learning to nurse well in those first few days:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

It might be a good idea to do that for now.

Also, get in bed, take off your shirt, strip baby down to a diaper, put him on your chest between your breasts. Now stay like that for the next week as much as possible! All of the skin to skin will help make sure you get him on the breast at every possible chance (sometimes the window is pretty short and if baby is swaddled up in a bassinet you can miss it). The skin to skin also helps him conserve calories, and organizes baby's sucking behavior.

muffins26
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Warm wet rags helped me when he kept falling asleep

Blue_Spiral
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Yeah, I would think based on that output that he's getting more than you think.

It seems like doctors and nurses are always coming up with some reason to give formula, even when output is fine. 

If Wolfgang stopped and just wanted to lay there and I knew he needed to eat (in the very beginning) I would just express some into his mouth, or wiggle my nipple in his mouth and he would get interested enough to get the ball rolling. 

I'm not expert, just a FTM, but that's what worked for me :)

I am Kaela. 23 year old atheist, pro-choice, bisexual wife to John, Mama to exclusively breastfed, co-sleeping, freebirthed, intact, lucky little Wolfgang!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)