• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pedialite????

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM
  • 24 Replies
My dd who is 9 weeks has been throwing up all day and cannot keep any feedings down..she has only had 2 dirty diapers but even those weren't very wet....so I took her to the er and the first nurse looks at me and said...well why didn't u give her pedialite...I explained she was ebf...the nurse looks at me and just says yea and?...... so am I wrong for nit wanting to give my dd pedialute and thinking that bm would by far be better for whatever is going on?..... we are still here so I don't have a diagnosis but this nurse just iritated me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mollysmom328
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Breastmilk is far better for her than pedialyte is!

JealousGrrl
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:13 PM

IDk I probably would have given something if baby couldn't even keep BM down.  They have a kind that is colorless and flavorless.  It's not bad, it's just something to keep baby hydrated.  But you do what you thinnk is right  :)

maggiemom2000
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Pedialyte is for formula fed babies. You are right, breastfed babies don't need it!

From kellymom.com

The current recommendations when vomiting or diarrhea is present in the breastfed child are as follows:

• Breastfeeding should be the FIRST choice if your child can take anything by mouth. Because of the ease and rapidity with which breastmilk is digested, even if your child vomits or stools shortly after nursing, he will still have retained some of the nutrients. Other foods that are often suggested (such as Pedialyte, sports drinks, gelatins and sodas) offer little nutritional value and none of the antibodies that human milk contains.

• When your breastfed child is ill you'll want to offer more frequent feedings -- this can limit the volume taken in at one time and helps to comfort and soothe a sick child. If your child is vomiting often and not keeping the milk down for long, it may be helpful to breastfeed frequently but limit the length of each nursing session (so your child takes in less milk at once). Another option is for Mom to express some milk before breastfeeding so that the milk flow is slower. RARELY does the baby who is allowed to breastfeed at will during a vomiting or diarrhea illness become dehydrated.

The use of an oral rehydration therapy such as Pedialyte is a sound recommendation for a formula-fed infant who is vomiting or who has diarrhea, but using this in place of breastmilk offers no benefit to the breastfed baby. Human milk is a natural fluid, unlike formula and other milk products, that again is easily and rapidly digested.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:47 PM

No need, shorter more frequent nursing is in order though. =)

ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Hmmm glad I read this post myself... I did give pedialite to my DS when he had strep and a double ear infection.. Now I know better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:16 PM
Just a little of an update....we are waiting for some test results but they think she has a uti or kidney infection..they did an ultrasound on her stomach and tried giving her the unflavored clear pedialite but she down rigtht refused it and she is dehydrated so they have her on an iv while we wait for results
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:28 PM
Quoting ncoates04:

Just a little of an update....we are waiting for some test results but they think she has a uti or kidney infection..they did an ultrasound on her stomach and tried giving her the unflavored clear pedialite but she down rigtht refused it and she is dehydrated so they have her on an iv while we wait for results

I hope she is better soon! Poor baby :-(
catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Hope she feels better soon!  

ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:32 AM
Well she has been admitted for dehydration a uti and kidney infection and I can't feed her until after 5 ( she last ate at 11) and they don't have a pumphere so I am hoping it wont cause a problem with supply..all I know right now is that I am overtired engored and uncomfortable....but I am gling to attempt to get some sleep..goodnight all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:41 AM
Why in the hell are they starving your baby? Screw them nurse her! There is no medical reason a child with a uti or kidney infection can't nurse! The iv will give fluids but not nutrition! Basically the are telling you to starve her....do they have a mother baby floor? If so they have a pump!

Quoting ncoates04:

Well she has been admitted for dehydration a uti and kidney infection and I can't feed her until after 5 ( she last ate at 11) and they don't have a pumphere so I am hoping it wont cause a problem with supply..all I know right now is that I am overtired engored and uncomfortable....but I am gling to attempt to get some sleep..goodnight all

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)