• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am FURIOUS. Long and kind of a rant...

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM
  • 50 Replies

My son's virgin gut is ruined. RUINED.

DH and I decided to go out to dinner alone last night. The past couple of months have been really chaotic with the new baby and everything, and we have been getting a little short-fused with each other so we just needed some alone time to reconnect and relax a little. My MIL has been doing so good, I can honestly say she was being supportive of my breastfeeding and really helping me out. She wanted to watch our son while we were gone, and I said okay thinking it wouldn't be a problem. I explained everything to her- how much breastmilk he needs, how to thaw and warm it and how long it's good for, how to handle it...etc. She is a competent adult so surely I didn't think it would be a problem. Until I got home. I left just enough breastmilk so that he would have what he needed but still be ready to nurse when I got back. We walked in the door and he was sound asleep. At first I thought it was great! I asked MIL how she managed to get him to sleep so good and she said "Well I don't think the breastmilk really satisfied him so I put a little rice cereal in his bottle to keep him full."

I am completely livid right now. I didn't really go off on her because after all I didn't specify not to put any cereal in his bottle, but she knows I delay solids and common sense should tell her not to feed my son anything before asking me, especially when he's only two months old! What makes me even more angry is the fact that she had to go to the store to get the cereal, so she knew damn well what she was doing AND she had to CUT the top of the nipple off to feed it to him so I don't even want to know how much she put in there. He's been fussy all day and hasn't pooped yet, and his gas smells awful and I know it's from the cereal. I have busted my ass for nine weeks to exclusively breastfeed and I'm absolutely furious that she would sabotage it without a single thought. We're never leaving my baby alone again because apparently we can't trust anyone with him. I feel so stupid :(

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I'm so sorry that happened!

mjp2707
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM
Aw I'm sorry. I would be livid. The virgin gut can repair its self with at least 6 weeks of exclusive nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:05 PM
Oop at least 4 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chcon

So sorry that it happened.  I read that it can repair itself if you go back to EBF in a few weeks.  He'll be okay! 

mjp2707
Ahhhhh NAK
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Im sorry Momma.  Sometimes MIL's just dont get it.

simple frown 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
maybebaby83
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Yikes!! I'd be mad :(

I'm sorry...I would not yell at her, but let her know you aren't happy about it!

JealousGrrl
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM

WTF?  Who thinks its a good choice to feed cereal to a 2 month old child...

JHjelle827
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM
Good for you for not going off on her I would be pissed and it would be hard to be nice. Whats the deal with people especially grandmas thinking breastmilk isn't enough
Pugsmuggler
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM
I woulld have flipped, sorry mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)