• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breast pump not working..need to go back to work

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM
  • 17 Replies
Im going back to work in 1 week (only every other weekend though) and decided tonight i better start pumping. Well i sat down to do it and my pump doesnt work. It makes the noise, but doesnt suck. If i turn it on all the way i can barely see it sucking. I checked everything that i knew to check and couldnt find anything wrong. Ive had it for a couple yrs, but never used it all that much. I dont know what to do...i dont have the money to get a new one until after next weekend. Does anyone know what could be wrong?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IllinoisHawkeye
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM
What kind of pump is it? Could it be the membranes? Those are critical to getting good suction and they are usually pretty cheap to replace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Yep, exactly what I was thinking.  I started pumping once and forgot the membrane.  I tried everything before I realized it was missing, lol.

Quoting IllinoisHawkeye:

What kind of pump is it? Could it be the membranes? Those are critical to getting good suction and they are usually pretty cheap to replace.

bballmom25
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM

It's an evenflo. What are the membranes?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM

OH GOD evenflo sucks..you need a new pump..its AKA the nipple shredder, count your blessings it died!

Call WIC and see if they have a pump you can borrow, OR look into hand expressing.  Some LCs have manual pumps you can borrow too.

boom_maker
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM

good ideas. you can also check into renting one from a local hospital.

i was thinking the membranes too if you're not getting any suction.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

OH GOD evenflo sucks..you need a new pump..its AKA the nipple shredder, count your blessings it died!

Call WIC and see if they have a pump you can borrow, OR look into hand expressing.  Some LCs have manual pumps you can borrow too.

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I had an evenflo with DD1, and I am pretty sure what the problem is- the motor is likely shot.  Mine burned out at 8 months, same thing- made all the right noises,there was just no suction, I used a manual after that.  Definitely check with WIC, local LCs, and a local hospital to see if there's a pump you can rent.  And avoid an evenflo when you do get a new one ;)

lorsmommy08
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Do you have Amazon mom? I ask because I just got my Avent Isis for $26+free 2 day shipping with that and the Isis is a great pump for now, until you can get a good electric. I had a friend who even ditched her electric in favor of the Isis which is manual because it worked better for her.

Quoting boom_maker:

good ideas. you can also check into renting one from a local hospital.

i was thinking the membranes too if you're not getting any suction.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

-Krista
~Mom to Lorelai (5-28-07), Peyton (4-20-09), and Aedan (EDD: 8/19/2011

MommytoPrince
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Probably means you need a new pump.
Try craigslist.
bballmom25
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:59 PM
Thanks guys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fade2blue82
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I grabbed a Lansinoh manual from Walmart, which has been wonderful. It was only $30ish and I've used it daily for 4 months now and it still works great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)