Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping and supply question

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM
  • 1 Replies

I have been back to work for 4 weeks. I get up and pump at 4:30 am, nurse Lucas at 6:15, pump at 9:30 am, 1 pm and 3:30 pm, nurse him at 6:30 and again about 9 pm. So I pump at work 3 times which is starting to get old and I feel like I am never at my desk working. My boss has not said anything however I want to feed Lucas breastmilk/nurse for at least a year he is know 4 months). If I only pump at work 2 times will this throw off my supply or cause any issues? Thanks

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
maggiemom2000
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM

How much milk are you pumping each day, and how much milk is he taking while you are at work?

In order to maintain supply you need to pump out each day at least the amount he needs at daycare. It looks like right now you are pumping 4 times a day. If you are getting more than he takes at daycare each day then you can certainly drop a pumping session, as long as you are still able to pump your minimum. Some moms will find they are still able to pump the same total with fewer pumping sessions, others cannot. The only thing you can do is try.

The thing that I notice is that he is only nursing 3 times, which means you are needing to pump a lot. Does he really not nurse between 9pm and 6:15 am? He has a set amount of milk that he needs in 24 hours. The more he gets when he is with you, the less you need to pump for him. Check out Reverse Cycling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)