Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How to unclog nipple pores for good?

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

Starting at 2 weeks into nursing, I began getting clogged nipple pores (only on one breast). My theory is that my son was rubbing on that nipple which caused a thin scab to form which then caused clogged pores. I have been told by a LC that these are usually reacurring in woman who get them. I have found that to be true. I'm 9 weeks into nursing now and this hasn't resolved for me. I was told to moisten the nipple, scrape the skin away that has formed over the clogged pores and allow my son to nurse in order to unclog the pore. Won't the scab/skin form back over the area again afterward, and cause another clogged pore? Any better method for getting this problem resolved?

by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:08 AM

These are called nipple blebs or milk blisters and they should be treated the same way a plugged ducts is. Kellymom has info on how to treat them, google "kellymom milk blister". Since they are essentially the same, many moms who experience recurrent plugged ducts will use lecithin to treat themselves.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Also, I wouldn't scrape anything away, it could lead to infection.

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Quoting Daynaof3: These are called nipple blebs or milk blisters and they should be treated the same way a plugged ducts is. Kellymom has info on how to treat them, google "kellymom milk blister". Since they are essentially the same, many moms who experience recurrent plugged ducts will use lecithin to treat themselves.

CLICK TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html 

CLICK TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Tsmail
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 7:44 AM

After receiving your reply to my post, I visited kellymom as you suggested. I also received a call from the LC at the hospital I delivered and she had a new suggestion for me. Kellymom sited excessive yeast as the culprit in blebs, and my LC suggested taking acidophalus daily. After 2 weeks I started to see improvement and after 1 month the problem cleared up completely. After 4 months of the pain and not knowing each day if I would be able to go on to the next with bfing, I am finally clear of this problem! So rewarding to have continued through this struggle rather than give up! Thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN