Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

breastfeeding help please!! if you know ANYTHING about breastfeeding please open. UPDATE...UPDATE..UPDATE

morning ladies!!

i had my babygirl on friday the 1st and an hour after she was born i started breastfeeding her. She took to it immediatly and i started breastfeeding her on demand since then ( every couples of hours for about 40 minutes sometimes over an hour). I wanted to make sure i was doing it right and ask to see a lactation consultant and was told that because it was the 4th of July weekend, no lactation consultant was available and i had to rely on my nurses who really didn't help much besides telling me that to their knowledge i was doing a good job. Well fast forward 3 days and i'm now home with baby but my nipples are so sore that it hurts to lift my shirt so i had my SO go to the store and get me some formula for the day so i can let them heal. i'm almost depressed by this but it hurts so bad i couldn't even push through the pain i was in tears. My question is will i dry up and fail breastfeeding because of giving her formula for 24 hours and how can i make sure i succeed breastfeeing her because that's really what i want to do. PLEASE HELP ME, I DON'T WANT TO FAIL HER!!

UPDATE

I THINK WE FINALLY GOT IT! :) I PUMPED FOR THE NEXT 24 HOUR JUST TO WAIT FOR MY NIPPLES TO HEAL BECAUSE THEY WERE IN ROUGH SHAPE AND THEN I PUT HER BACK ON THE BREAST. IT DIDN'T SEEM TO CONFUSE HER THAT MUCH. IT STILL HURTS FOR THE FIRST MINUTE OR SO AND THEN IT'S JUST PRESSURE FROM HER SUCKING BUT I THINK THAT'S NORMAL (@ LEAST I HOPE LOL). SHE'S HAPPY AND HEALTHY SO FAR AND SHE PEES AND POOPS LIKE A CHAMP. (IT'S BRIGHT GREEN/YELLOW WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE SEEDS IN IT AND THE DOC SAID THAT WAS PERFECTLY FINE). I'LL KEEP THIS UP AND HOPEFULLY IT WON'T HURT @ ALL ANYMORE SOON. I WANTED TO THANK YOU LADIES FOR BEING SO HELPFUL AND FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE I WAS CAPABLE OF DOING IT. U LADIES ARE THE BEST!!

ps: I STILL PUMP TWICE A DAY FOR WHEN WE'RE OUT AND ABOUT BECAUSE I HAVE NOT MASTERED NIP YET AND I'M NOT HIDING IN THE BATHROOMS TO FEED HER. BUT SINCE SHE'S ON MY BREAST LIKE 10 TIMES A DAY I DON'T THINK IT WILL HURT. THAT IS ALL FOR NOW. THANKS AGAIN!!

by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 8:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
rjsmommy214
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM

if she is latching correctly it should only hurt for the first minute or so then it should go away. i would rub a little breastmilk on your nipples after nursing, let them dry then put on nipple cream. i cant say whether or not you will dry up, but this time is crucial. its early and your supply is just coming in.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Is the pain throughout the whole feeding or just in the beginning?  If it is throughout the whole feeding, there is something wrong with the latch and it needs to be corrected.  If it is just in the beginning of the feedings, it is normal and WILL go away eventually.  Express a little milk onto your nipples and let them air dry after every feeding.  Then put lanolin or another nipple cream on them.  THIS will help them heal if the latch is correct.

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM
Pumping is not easy either. It's best to nurse directly. Some women don't even respond to pumps. If you choose to pump, you will need to pump every two hours during the day and every three at night (and/or every time a bottle is given). Pump response can decrease over time. Really, the best thing to do is corrupt the latch, treat the sore nipples, and nurse your baby. Check out the resources thread in this group, Dr. Newman's latch videos, and kellymom.com. Use breastmilk on your nipples, along with lanolin (or other nipple cream), and get some of those breast gel pad thingys (not sure of the actual name - soothies, maybe?). Get rid of the formula, asap. Not only can it damage your breastfeeding relationship, but it's use comes with many risks that a lot of people aren't aware of!! No bottles until after 4-6 weeks is ideal. If you do choose to bottle feed, know that 1-1.25 ounces per hour is a good rule to follow. But, at this point, baby's tummy is just over the size of a marble. You shouldn't be giving multiple ounces yet. That will lead to overfeeding and cause stomach stretching (which will cause a viscious cycle that most mom's supply's cannot keep up with). Keep asking questions. We can work with you to help get you where you want to be. Also, check out llli.org and see if there is a meeting near you. If someone is close, they oftentimes will come to your house to help, for free. Hang in there, momma!! You can do this!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I forgot to say that if there is a latch issue, giving bottles will just make it worse.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Is the pain throughout the whole feeding or just in the beginning?  If it is throughout the whole feeding, there is something wrong with the latch and it needs to be corrected.  If it is just in the beginning of the feedings, it is normal and WILL go away eventually.  Express a little milk onto your nipples and let them air dry after every feeding.  Then put lanolin or another nipple cream on them.  THIS will help them heal if the latch is correct.

Lilypie - (wn9y)

mombloggerJ
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Formula is going to screw things up. I agree if the pain is just at the beginning of the session for a few seconds and then abates, the latch is probably fine and you're just going to have to work through it. . .and I really don't say that lightly. With my second DD, the first 3 weeks were AWFUL. Her latch was right but she had such a forceful suck that I cried through the first few seconds of every nursing session. It was toe-curling pain so I really can relate. Also, ONE bad latch takes hours to heal b/c it damages the nipple so it's very important to unlatch and relatch if she gets on incorrectly. 

Also, some babies have a habit of sucking in their bottom lip after latching. Check for this while nursing. If her lip is sucked in, you can use your finger to gently pull her chin down and flange it out.

Other comfort measures? Get some nursing shells to wear in your bra. This will keep stuff from sticking to and rubbing your nipples, which makes the problem worse. They look like this but most have a different internal piece you can snap on that has a larger opening. These seriously saved my nipples in the beginning. After every nursing session, express some milk and rub it on the entire nipple. Allow it to air dry, then apply lanolin and put the shells on until next session. You will be amazed at how much this will help.

Honestly, taking a 24 hour break is going to set you back, even if you pump. Contrary to what many think, there is a toughening process that goes on during the first few weeks of nursing, even if the latch is perfect. I know it feels like forever, but you CAN do it, you just have to set your mind to it. You can also take ibuprofen to decrease inflammation and pain. Hang in there, momma. 

If you haven't given the formula yet, please read this. If you have, don't worry about it, but stop now and get back to nursing. =)

Leeshamak
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:42 AM

It sounds like a latch issue. Make sure that when you put her on the boob that it is always at the same angle so that she is drinking from the same quandrant of the breast. If you have a boppy or a nice fluffy pillow, it will be your breasts best friend. Because, you won't be leaning over and messing up the latch~ or having her drink from different quandrant of the bewb to make you engorged. Think of your nipple as a straw, in order for the baby to get a full drink, she needs a straw that is not kinked in anyway. Usually, if you see blood on your nipples, its a bad latch. Congratulations on your new baby! And good for you seeking advice :)

hempmommy87
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

So true. I almost gave in and had SO give him formula in a syringe but as soon as he was about to, I stopped him. I couldn't do it! lol Yes, it was rough and painful as hell! I was in recovery from childbirth as well so it added to it even more. You just need to nurse through the pain because it will all be worth it :) (I ended up throwing away the can of formula from the hospital)

Quoting jessnjosh87:

EVERY BOTTLE YOU GIVE HER HURTS YOUR BREASTFEEDING REALTIONSHIP. Let your nipples air dry after every nursing session, use Lanosil on them, cold/hot packs (whatever feels better), and KEEP NURSING. She is way too little too start bottles. THE FIRST TWO WEEKS ARE HELL. DONT GIVE UP.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mombloggerJ
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Actually, changing up positions can be a good thing b/c it puts the more foreful suck toward different ducts each time. No need to rigid with positioning (meaning you can switch between cradle hold, football hold, side lying hold every time if you want). . .the main issue is just making sure baby is actually taking in enough of the areola and that her lips are flanged properly. Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying, but "drinking from a different quadrant" is not an issue. . .

Quoting Leeshamak:

It sounds like a latch issue. Make sure that when you put her on the boob that it is always at the same angle so that she is drinking from the same quandrant of the breast. If you have a boppy or a nice fluffy pillow, it will be your breasts best friend. Because, you won't be leaning over and messing up the latch~ or having her drink from different quandrant of the bewb to make you engorged. Think of your nipple as a straw, in order for the baby to get a full drink, she needs a straw that is not kinked in anyway. Usually, if you see blood on your nipples, its a bad latch. Congratulations on your new baby! And good for you seeking advice :)

lorsmommy08
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM

This, not to mention the nipple confusion you could be causing by giivng ANY bottles too early. Just work on  her latch and eventually the pain will go away- it takes about 2 weeks for me. 

Quoting jessnjosh87:

EVERY BOTTLE YOU GIVE HER HURTS YOUR BREASTFEEDING REALTIONSHIP. Let your nipples air dry after every nursing session, use Lanosil on them, cold/hot packs (whatever feels better), and KEEP NURSING. She is way too little too start bottles. THE FIRST TWO WEEKS ARE HELL. DONT GIVE UP.

-Krista
~Mom to Lorelai (5-28-07), Peyton (4-20-09), and Aedan (EDD: 8/19/2011

chocolat-smiles
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:13 AM

thank you everyone i really appreciate this. i tried my dual pump and it wasn't as painful as i expected it to be, and i got about 2 ounces on each side and  i cried of excitment. i don't feel like a failure anymore and it's a good feeling, thank you ladies 4 that!! i'm going 2 try all the advices i got and keep pumping until ny nipples heal and i'll put her back on it. i will keep you updated and possibly ask 4 more advice as i go. REALLY LADIES, THANK YOU,  THANK YOU,  THANK YOU!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)