Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

breastfeeding help please!! if you know ANYTHING about breastfeeding please open. UPDATE...UPDATE..UPDATE

morning ladies!!

i had my babygirl on friday the 1st and an hour after she was born i started breastfeeding her. She took to it immediatly and i started breastfeeding her on demand since then ( every couples of hours for about 40 minutes sometimes over an hour). I wanted to make sure i was doing it right and ask to see a lactation consultant and was told that because it was the 4th of July weekend, no lactation consultant was available and i had to rely on my nurses who really didn't help much besides telling me that to their knowledge i was doing a good job. Well fast forward 3 days and i'm now home with baby but my nipples are so sore that it hurts to lift my shirt so i had my SO go to the store and get me some formula for the day so i can let them heal. i'm almost depressed by this but it hurts so bad i couldn't even push through the pain i was in tears. My question is will i dry up and fail breastfeeding because of giving her formula for 24 hours and how can i make sure i succeed breastfeeing her because that's really what i want to do. PLEASE HELP ME, I DON'T WANT TO FAIL HER!!

UPDATE

I THINK WE FINALLY GOT IT! :) I PUMPED FOR THE NEXT 24 HOUR JUST TO WAIT FOR MY NIPPLES TO HEAL BECAUSE THEY WERE IN ROUGH SHAPE AND THEN I PUT HER BACK ON THE BREAST. IT DIDN'T SEEM TO CONFUSE HER THAT MUCH. IT STILL HURTS FOR THE FIRST MINUTE OR SO AND THEN IT'S JUST PRESSURE FROM HER SUCKING BUT I THINK THAT'S NORMAL (@ LEAST I HOPE LOL). SHE'S HAPPY AND HEALTHY SO FAR AND SHE PEES AND POOPS LIKE A CHAMP. (IT'S BRIGHT GREEN/YELLOW WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE SEEDS IN IT AND THE DOC SAID THAT WAS PERFECTLY FINE). I'LL KEEP THIS UP AND HOPEFULLY IT WON'T HURT @ ALL ANYMORE SOON. I WANTED TO THANK YOU LADIES FOR BEING SO HELPFUL AND FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE I WAS CAPABLE OF DOING IT. U LADIES ARE THE BEST!!

ps: I STILL PUMP TWICE A DAY FOR WHEN WE'RE OUT AND ABOUT BECAUSE I HAVE NOT MASTERED NIP YET AND I'M NOT HIDING IN THE BATHROOMS TO FEED HER. BUT SINCE SHE'S ON MY BREAST LIKE 10 TIMES A DAY I DON'T THINK IT WILL HURT. THAT IS ALL FOR NOW. THANKS AGAIN!!

by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 8:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
chocolat-smiles
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM

BUMP!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I have yet to read through the thread but let's start here.

Quoting chocolat-smiles:

i had my babygirl on friday the 1st and an hour after she was born i started breastfeeding her. She took to it immediatly and i started breastfeeding her on demand since then ( every couples of hours for about 40 minutes sometimes over an hour).

Excellent/

I wanted to make sure i was doing it right and ask to see a lactation consultant and was told that because it was the 4th of July weekend, no lactation consultant was available

Not surprising.

and i had to rely on my nurses who really didn't help much

Also not surprising.

besides telling me that to their knowledge i was doing a good job. Well fast forward 3 days and i'm now home with baby but my nipples are so sore that it hurts to lift my shirt

OK, that could be a bad latch if they're sorre all the time. LANSINOH... use it liberally. Go without a shirt and let the nipples air dry after  feeding

so i had my SO go to the store and get me some formula for the day so i can let them heal. i'm almost depressed by this but it hurts so bad i couldn't even push through the pain i was in tears. My question is will i dry up and fail breastfeeding

We don't allow that f-worsd... and the answer is HELL NO. But the formula isn't going to help your root issue.

In order to dry up you need to be on estrogen or to slice off your breasts. Dyring up takes MONTHS... even years. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwwise because they're lying.

because of giving her formula for 24 hours and how can i make sure i succeed breastfeeing her because that's really what i want to do. PLEASE HELP ME, I DON'T WANT TO FAIL HER!!

Calm down. You're so normal you woudln't believe it. Let me read through the rest of the thread. But I will say you need to get back on the horse NOW.

SouthALMommy
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Quoting jessnjosh87:

EVERY BOTTLE YOU GIVE HER HURTS YOUR BREASTFEEDING REALTIONSHIP. Let your nipples air dry after every nursing session, use Lanosil on them, cold/hot packs (whatever feels better), and KEEP NURSING. She is way too little too start bottles. THE FIRST TWO WEEKS ARE HELL. DONT GIVE UP.

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, college educated mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Only infant death from starvation counts as failure. Nothing else.

You've been asked a lot of quesitons that you haven't answered... please answer them rather than giving us a blank bump... we can't help without answers.

ecagle
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Honestly, you'd do better to get a nipple shield than formula/bottle. I know some are adamantly opposed to nipple shields, but I'm of the belief that if it's helping keeping baby at the breast and the mother is at the point of feeding bottles/formula from pain, nipple shield is the better option. You can get them at babies r us and sometimes target.  Are you calling the hospital for a LC?  Google search one in the area and there are many times private LC you can call for help.  When you are engorged, it can make painful nipples feel more pain and by not feeding through that, you are just causing more problems.

Oh, and as far as nipple pain goes, I really feel you.  I had a breast reduction and have something called Reynaud's Syndrome in my nipples...change in temp makes the blood supply drop and the nipple to blanch...as blood comes back in, I get extradoridarily painful nipple spasms.  At time, these spasms happen during a feeding.  These happened before breastfeeding, but only during extreme temp changes...now, I get a few day :|  HOWEVER, as I feed longer and longer, they are shorter and my body is adapting.  Your body will adapt and you will be able to figure out a latch.

mombloggerJ
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

SO glad your emotions are better. . .but did you read all the replies? Just curious. . .b/c you can pump until your nipples heal, but if you don't solve the root problem, you'll be right back where you started a few days into nursing again. OR, if it's just normal early soreness, you've just short circuited the toughening process. Pumped milk is better than formula for her GUT, but as far as the actual establishment of breastfeeding, this is not a solution. . .

Quoting chocolat-smiles:

thank you everyone i really appreciate this. i tried my dual pump and it wasn't as painful as i expected it to be, and i got about 2 ounces on each side and  i cried of excitment. i don't feel like a failure anymore and it's a good feeling, thank you ladies 4 that!! i'm going 2 try all the advices i got and keep pumping until ny nipples heal and i'll put her back on it. i will keep you updated and possibly ask 4 more advice as i go. REALLY LADIES, THANK YOU,  THANK YOU,  THANK YOU!!!

chocolat-smiles
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Only infant death from starvation counts as failure. Nothing else.

You've been asked a lot of quesitons that you haven't answered... please answer them rather than giving us a blank bump... we can't help without answers.

i'm sorry if i didn't answer ur question but i will go back later when my hands are free and do so. Also the bump was 4 my update on page 2 about the pump working.

ecagle
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Quoting chocolat-smiles:

thank you everyone i really appreciate this. i tried my dual pump and it wasn't as painful as i expected it to be, and i got about 2 ounces on each side and  i cried of excitment. i don't feel like a failure anymore and it's a good feeling, thank you ladies 4 that!! i'm going 2 try all the advices i got and keep pumping until ny nipples heal and i'll put her back on it. i will keep you updated and possibly ask 4 more advice as i go. REALLY LADIES, THANK YOU,  THANK YOU,  THANK YOU!!!

Again, GET A NIPPLE SHIELD.  That way baby is at the breast taking the milk instead of from a bottle.  You can still pump, but don't need to if you don't want.  My baby was on a nipple shield for the first 4 weeks because of a tongue thrust and narrow palate (he was born 3 weeks early)...you do have to wean off it, but trust me...it's TONS easier than pumping/feeding.  This is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Contact-Nipple-Shield-20mm/dp/B000YQMWLU

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Pink.Daisies.23
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM
This. Your nippleswill get better over time.

Quoting jessnjosh87:

EVERY BOTTLE YOU GIVE HER HURTS YOUR BREASTFEEDING REALTIONSHIP. Let your nipples air dry after every nursing session, use Lanosil on them, cold/hot packs (whatever feels better), and KEEP NURSING. She is way too little too start bottles. THE FIRST TWO WEEKS ARE HELL. DONT GIVE UP.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ecagle
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I agree, plus baby will be used to bottles, possibly creating an even worse latch. 

Quoting mombloggerJ:

SO glad your emotions are better. . .but did you read all the replies? Just curious. . .b/c you can pump until your nipples heal, but if you don't solve the root problem, you'll be right back where you started a few days into nursing again. OR, if it's just normal early soreness, you've just short circuited the toughening process. Pumped milk is better than formula for her GUT, but as far as the actual establishment of breastfeeding, this is not a solution. . .

Quoting chocolat-smiles:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN