Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding help please!! if you know ANYTHING about breastfeeding please open. UPDATE...UPDATE..UPDATE

morning ladies!!

i had my babygirl on friday the 1st and an hour after she was born i started breastfeeding her. She took to it immediatly and i started breastfeeding her on demand since then ( every couples of hours for about 40 minutes sometimes over an hour). I wanted to make sure i was doing it right and ask to see a lactation consultant and was told that because it was the 4th of July weekend, no lactation consultant was available and i had to rely on my nurses who really didn't help much besides telling me that to their knowledge i was doing a good job. Well fast forward 3 days and i'm now home with baby but my nipples are so sore that it hurts to lift my shirt so i had my SO go to the store and get me some formula for the day so i can let them heal. i'm almost depressed by this but it hurts so bad i couldn't even push through the pain i was in tears. My question is will i dry up and fail breastfeeding because of giving her formula for 24 hours and how can i make sure i succeed breastfeeing her because that's really what i want to do. PLEASE HELP ME, I DON'T WANT TO FAIL HER!!

UPDATE

I THINK WE FINALLY GOT IT! :) I PUMPED FOR THE NEXT 24 HOUR JUST TO WAIT FOR MY NIPPLES TO HEAL BECAUSE THEY WERE IN ROUGH SHAPE AND THEN I PUT HER BACK ON THE BREAST. IT DIDN'T SEEM TO CONFUSE HER THAT MUCH. IT STILL HURTS FOR THE FIRST MINUTE OR SO AND THEN IT'S JUST PRESSURE FROM HER SUCKING BUT I THINK THAT'S NORMAL (@ LEAST I HOPE LOL). SHE'S HAPPY AND HEALTHY SO FAR AND SHE PEES AND POOPS LIKE A CHAMP. (IT'S BRIGHT GREEN/YELLOW WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE SEEDS IN IT AND THE DOC SAID THAT WAS PERFECTLY FINE). I'LL KEEP THIS UP AND HOPEFULLY IT WON'T HURT @ ALL ANYMORE SOON. I WANTED TO THANK YOU LADIES FOR BEING SO HELPFUL AND FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE I WAS CAPABLE OF DOING IT. U LADIES ARE THE BEST!!

ps: I STILL PUMP TWICE A DAY FOR WHEN WE'RE OUT AND ABOUT BECAUSE I HAVE NOT MASTERED NIP YET AND I'M NOT HIDING IN THE BATHROOMS TO FEED HER. BUT SINCE SHE'S ON MY BREAST LIKE 10 TIMES A DAY I DON'T THINK IT WILL HURT. THAT IS ALL FOR NOW. THANKS AGAIN!!

by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 8:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
mamatel
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I had the same problem with my first. I let him nurse for 20 -30 minutes at first. The nurse came in and told me that I should only nurse for like 10 minutes at a time. Well I wish I would have listened because I got sooo sore! It was very painful. But luckily I still nursed him through the pain. I even got a breast infection a few weeks later. I had to take antibiotics, and was told to nurse even more because nursing helps get rid of the infection!

The pain is only temporary. You can do it! Get rid of those bottles if you are serious about breastfeeding.

mombloggerJ
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Quoting ecagle:

Quoting chocolat-smiles:

thank you everyone i really appreciate this. i tried my dual pump and it wasn't as painful as i expected it to be, and i got about 2 ounces on each side and  i cried of excitment. i don't feel like a failure anymore and it's a good feeling, thank you ladies 4 that!! i'm going 2 try all the advices i got and keep pumping until ny nipples heal and i'll put her back on it. i will keep you updated and possibly ask 4 more advice as i go. REALLY LADIES, THANK YOU,  THANK YOU,  THANK YOU!!!

Again, GET A NIPPLE SHIELD.  That way baby is at the breast taking the milk instead of from a bottle.  You can still pump, but don't need to if you don't want.  My baby was on a nipple shield for the first 4 weeks because of a tongue thrust and narrow palate (he was born 3 weeks early)...you do have to wean off it, but trust me...it's TONS easier than pumping/feeding.  This is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Contact-Nipple-Shield-20mm/dp/B000YQMWLU

It's awesome that a nipple shield helped you, but I would not recommend a nipple shield just for soreness and pain. Your child had an issue specific to him. Why get addicted to a nipple shield if it's not needed? When she weans from it, she'll still deal with soreness at that point. Why not just work through it now?

I say this b/c while YOU clearly benefitted and had no problems weaning from it, some women aren't so lucky. My SIL was given a nipple shield in the hospital b/c she was convinced she had flat nipples (which she actually did not). Baby lost weight b/c he couldn't get the milk through the shield, then refused to latch without it and she gave up. So as with most interventions, it can help some women and they may have no issues, but it CAN cause severe problems.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM

While I generally don't liek sheilds, I'm in agreement with ecagle here. They are for wounded nipples, and you're wounded.

No pump,. no bottle.s It will only make things worse as far as latch. If anything will lead you to what you're considering failure, it's the bottles. They really need to be put away.

mombloggerJ
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

While I generally don't liek sheilds, I'm in agreement with ecagle here. They are for wounded nipples, and you're wounded.

No pump,. no bottle.s It will only make things worse as far as latch. If anything will lead you to what you're considering failure, it's the bottles. They really need to be put away.

I defer to gdiamante on this one. . .but I still think you should try breast shells/air dry/lanolin and watching the latch for 24 hours before resorting to a nipple shield. JMO

ecagle
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Quoting mombloggerJ:

Quoting ecagle:

Quoting chocolat-smiles:

thank you everyone i really appreciate this. i tried my dual pump and it wasn't as painful as i expected it to be, and i got about 2 ounces on each side and  i cried of excitment. i don't feel like a failure anymore and it's a good feeling, thank you ladies 4 that!! i'm going 2 try all the advices i got and keep pumping until ny nipples heal and i'll put her back on it. i will keep you updated and possibly ask 4 more advice as i go. REALLY LADIES, THANK YOU,  THANK YOU,  THANK YOU!!!

Again, GET A NIPPLE SHIELD.  That way baby is at the breast taking the milk instead of from a bottle.  You can still pump, but don't need to if you don't want.  My baby was on a nipple shield for the first 4 weeks because of a tongue thrust and narrow palate (he was born 3 weeks early)...you do have to wean off it, but trust me...it's TONS easier than pumping/feeding.  This is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Contact-Nipple-Shield-20mm/dp/B000YQMWLU

It's awesome that a nipple shield helped you, but I would not recommend a nipple shield just for soreness and pain. Your child had an issue specific to him. Why get addicted to a nipple shield if it's not needed? When she weans from it, she'll still deal with soreness at that point. Why not just work through it now?

I say this b/c while YOU clearly benefitted and had no problems weaning from it, some women aren't so lucky. My SIL was given a nipple shield in the hospital b/c she was convinced she had flat nipples (which she actually did not). Baby lost weight b/c he couldn't get the milk through the shield, then refused to latch without it and she gave up. So as with most interventions, it can help some women and they may have no issues, but it CAN cause severe problems.

I agree...but this mother is at the point that she is giving bottles and pumping.  While I think putting straight at the breast is best and the first choice, if she won't do that, the nipple shield is probably the second best over pumping/bottle feeding. 

I honestly think that she should be seeing a lactation consultant.  In all honesty, it's possible that her baby has a palate or tongue tie issue causing a bad latch and she doesn't know yet.  It's very possible baby doesnt, but using nipple shield for a day before seeing LC is probably the better option than feeding baby out of bottle for a day...no?

Oh...and I should have emphasized...IF OP decides to try nipple shield today, she NEEDS to see the LC and should be seeing her for duration.  OP, I saw our LC every week while on it.  In addition, even though it hurt a bit, I allowed him on my actual breast at least a minute during each feeding, even while using nipple shield (this was my moms recommendation after breastfeeding 7 kiddos...so he would know he could nurse without the shield)...we'd try to get a good latch every time.

ecagle
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Quoting mombloggerJ:

Quoting gdiamante:

I defer to gdiamante on this one. . .but I still think you should try breast shells/air dry/lanolin and watching the latch for 24 hours before resorting to a nipple shield. JMO

I get what you are saying and my mom felt similarly because my SIL's baby ended up addicted to the shield.  I think it should be seen as a temporary solution.  However, if a mother is at the point where she's in so much pain that she is refusing to nurse and only wants to give a bottle, the shield is the better option.  One day on the shield is better than one day at the bottle.

Tomorrow she should see a LC to see if there are any underlying issues and getting help with the latch, but for one day, the shield is the better option than the bottle.

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM
You should never limit nursings. Te nurse actually gave you bad info telling you to only nurse for 10 minutes at a time. Limiting the amount of time baby gets at the breast can cause supply issues and lead to baby not getting enough milk (which could lead to dehydration, malnutrition, ftt). Never time nursings. Allow baby to nurse until he/she comes off on his/her own. Burp. Offer other side. It is perfectly fine if baby doesn't want the other side. Some will, some won't. Just follow baby's lead. My dd nurses for 45 minutes, took 15-30 minute breaks, and then went back on for another 45. This is normal. It is also normal for a baby to nurse for less time, or less frequently. Count dipes. As long as baby has one for each day of life (up to day 6), and then at least 6 per day for each day after, baby is getting enough.

Quoting mamatel:

I had the same problem with my first. I let him nurse for 20 -30 minutes at first. The nurse came in and told me that I should only nurse for like 10 minutes at a time. Well I wish I would have listened because I got sooo sore! It was very painful. But luckily I still nursed him through the pain. I even got a breast infection a few weeks later. I had to take antibiotics, and was told to nurse even more because nursing helps get rid of the infection!

The pain is only temporary. You can do it! Get rid of those bottles if you are serious about breastfeeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM
This.
You can do it mama!!! It won't hurt after your nipples get used to it. Don't give up!!!

Quoting luvbeingmama:

you really need to NOT give her formula and nurse nurse nurse.  Its very common to have sore nipples in the beginning.  Use some lanolin after feedings and it will help.  You will be dealing with engorgement if you dont feed for a day which could lead to plugged ducts and mastitis.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM
I would forget shields. They are hard to figure out. Just good your nipples down every hour, wipe it off a bit before you let her nurse. Keep ice packs on them too. It is hard the first couple weeks! But if you give her a bottle you will end up having issues breastfeeding. Keep it up, you will make it. I had a bad infection in my nipple from a bite and I kept breastfeeding. Find a comfy position like laying down with her and nurse nurse nurse! Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM
*goop not good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)